Trados Segmentation Rules
Thread poster: overseas

overseas
Local time: 16:53
English to Korean
+ ...
Jan 15, 2008

Help!

I have tried various settings in Trados segmentation rules so that a period/dot (.) preceded and followed by tags (i.e. .) in the source file is not interpreted as a segmentation boundary marker and will not be skipped as a non-translatable translation unit.

The original source file is an xml, but whether I work on the xml file using TagEditor or an rtf (xml is converted to html), every attempt I made in the segmentation rules has failed.

Could someone give me any helping tips? Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 22:53
German
+ ...
Please give a complete example Jan 16, 2008

Can you please give us a complete example of an actual tagged sentence in your file? Don't worry if it doesn't show up correctly - we can see it using the "quote" function.

Thanks
Benjamin

overseas
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Here it is Jan 16, 2008

This report is for the business

The total operation time is

Thanks for your reply. Due to syntactic characteristics of the target language, I need to put translated text where the dot (.) is.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 22:53
German
+ ...
Aha! Jan 16, 2008

In that case, it is not a segmentation problem at all Trados automatically skips segments that contain only punctuation or numbers or other stuff it thinks doesn't require translation.

If you're absolutely sure you need to put text there, I recommend that you replace all occurrences of <Part>.</Part> with something like <Part>ovrseas-placeholdr.</Part> (or some other text that you are sure doesn't already exist in the file) prior to starting the translation. You can use the Windows Notepad application for this purpose (be aware that replacing text in large files is painfully slow) or any other text editor of your choice.

HTH,
Benjamin

P.S.: Oh, and you should also be aware that you're going to get a lot of "matches" for those placeholders - be careful when applying fuzzies there and don't "Translate to Next Fuzzy".

[Edited at 2008-01-16 14:45]

overseas
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Kudos to tech-guy! Jan 16, 2008

If you're absolutely sure you need to put text there, I recommend that you replace all occurrences of . with something like ovrseas-placeholdr. (or some other text that you are sure doesn't already exist in the file) prior to starting the translation. You can use the Windows Notepad application for this purpose (be aware that replacing text in large files is painfully slow) or any other text editor of your choice.

Great advice! It worked. Thank you so much, Benjamin.

[Edited at 2008-01-16 17:36]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Segmentation Rules

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs