TM received in notepad document. What do I do with it?
Thread poster: B Honeywell
B Honeywell
B Honeywell
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:16
English to French
+ ...
Jan 16, 2008

Hi

I received a 'TM' as a notepad document for a recent translation. When I tried to import it into an already open TM via workbench nothing happens.

Here is the layout of the document: -
%20080111~131948 %User ID,blahblahblah %TU=00000000 %EN-US %Wordfast TM v 5.0/00 %FR-FR %---80638593 .
20080111~120102 +A! 0 EN-US blahblahblahblah FR-FR leblahleblahleblahleblah 35090 2420 1889

... See more
Hi

I received a 'TM' as a notepad document for a recent translation. When I tried to import it into an already open TM via workbench nothing happens.

Here is the layout of the document: -
%20080111~131948 %User ID,blahblahblah %TU=00000000 %EN-US %Wordfast TM v 5.0/00 %FR-FR %---80638593 .
20080111~120102 +A! 0 EN-US blahblahblahblah FR-FR leblahleblahleblahleblah 35090 2420 1889

That's the first 2 lines and it continues for 200+ lines.

Is this meant to be imported into trados?

Because I'm using version 6.5 could it be that the list is from a more recent (and incompatible) version?

Thanks
Collapse

George Fabian
George Fabian
Local time: 01:16
Polish to English
Import as tag delimited .txt file Jan 16, 2008

What you show is the header of a tag delimited .txt file created by Wordfast. Even though I personally don't use SDLX or Trados (just Wordfast) on an ongoing basis, I have had some experience with Trados. Try importing this TM as a new TM into your CAT and next merge it with your existing TM.

HTH
George

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:16
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
This is a Wordfast TM Jan 16, 2008

The TM you received is a Wordfast TM. As far as I know, Trados can't read Wordfast TMs. But no matter, just convert the TM to TMX, then create an empty TM in Trados and import the TMX file into it.

There are tools to convert a WF TM to TMX, but a simple one is called Wf2Tmx.zip and it is hosted at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/files/ (it may be that you need
... See more
The TM you received is a Wordfast TM. As far as I know, Trados can't read Wordfast TMs. But no matter, just convert the TM to TMX, then create an empty TM in Trados and import the TMX file into it.

There are tools to convert a WF TM to TMX, but a simple one is called Wf2Tmx.zip and it is hosted at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/files/ (it may be that you need to join that Yahoogroup to get access to the files).

Or, open the WF TM in Excel, then copy the two columns containing text, and use WinAlign to create a new TM in Trados.

Or, contact the person who gave you the WF TM and ask them to export it to TMX for you.
Collapse

B Honeywell
B Honeywell
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:16
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent Jan 16, 2008

Thanks for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM received in notepad document. What do I do with it?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »