Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
BIG letdown: SDL kills complimentary support!
Thread poster: Jan Sundström
Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:16
English to German
+ ...
Which shortcut= Jan 18, 2008

Hi,

If they did, you would not have to press 3 (three !!!!!?????) keys (Ctrl, Num, and +) to perform the (presumably) most frequently needed task, i. e. moving to the next segment.

Are you referring to Set close / Next Open Get? The keyboard shortcut for that is Alt+Num+ - that's two keys to me. (The problem arises when using a laptop without numeric keypad, of course.)

Best, Ralf

Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
Local time: 03:16
English to German
Thanks Stefan Jan 18, 2008

Thanks Stefan, but just pressing the two keys did not work for some reason, unfortunately. I tried it numerous times and pointed it out to the client but to no avail.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Question Jan 18, 2008

I occasionally browse Trados-related discussions here, and it appears that there are often solutions which users can readily implement (i.e. not requiring removal/installation/upgrading of the application or other software), ranging from the blindingly obvious to the downright esoteric. As with any other piece of software, some problems will be genuine bugs, but what proportion of issues do people think are caused by users' unwillingness to read the documentation, and by deficits in the quality ... See more
I occasionally browse Trados-related discussions here, and it appears that there are often solutions which users can readily implement (i.e. not requiring removal/installation/upgrading of the application or other software), ranging from the blindingly obvious to the downright esoteric. As with any other piece of software, some problems will be genuine bugs, but what proportion of issues do people think are caused by users' unwillingness to read the documentation, and by deficits in the quality of the documentation?

Marc
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
How many users does Trados have? Jan 18, 2008

According to a statistics, provided some time ago during the Edinburgh conference, among their customers SDL had 80% Trados and 20% SDLX user. Considering this and taking into account, that within the time between the conference and now the number of users has increased, it does not wonder me that Trados related questions are in the majority.
OTOH Marc Prior has a point here - how is the proportion of "problems" caused by the ignorance of the user? I will not say Trados is an easy piece of
... See more
According to a statistics, provided some time ago during the Edinburgh conference, among their customers SDL had 80% Trados and 20% SDLX user. Considering this and taking into account, that within the time between the conference and now the number of users has increased, it does not wonder me that Trados related questions are in the majority.
OTOH Marc Prior has a point here - how is the proportion of "problems" caused by the ignorance of the user? I will not say Trados is an easy piece of software, but following certain steps will ensure you success in most cases. Basing on my own experience with this forum and other places, where question are asked, about two thirds or even more could be avoided, if the user would be fit in using a computer in general and Word/Trados in particular.
Imagine you bring your car to the services and the mechanician does then ask you to explain him the usage of his tool. Would you leave the car there? Now what we do is similar - computer is our tool, so we are expected to know how to use it.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Free support? Jan 18, 2008

Hi all,
I had a look at some of the 'free' support offers discussed...

The free instant online chat solution offered by Symantec sounds good indeed. Too good to be true, perhaps:

Complimentary online documentation and live support through chat, email or phone for installation and known issues. Other phone support issues are charged a fee.

Jabberwock, could you please post a link to the free e-mail support offered by Microsoft?

All I could find in terms of free support were two free support requests after purchase, within 90 days. Alternatively, personal support is available without a contract, at a cost of EUR 72 per request.

Best regards,
Ralf

Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
English to German
Quality of documentation Jan 18, 2008

Don’t forget to mention the other half of the question Marc was posing namely what proportion of the issues was caused by deficits in the quality of the documentation. Interesting point.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Really tried to read the documentation provided? Jan 18, 2008

LegalTrans_ wrote:

Don’t forget to mention the other half of the question Marc was posing namely what proportion of the issues was caused by deficits in the quality of the documentation. Interesting point.

Tried the tutorials there, which come with all Trados installations?
Did you read File Format Reference Guide? Ever consulted the help from any SDL Trados tool? Please read some and come back then.
What you are doing could be done for particular any software - reading the documentation without working with the software is a pain in the a...

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Buying Support: Cons and pros Jan 18, 2008

Claudia Digel wrote:

Hi Jan,

Actually, the Support Knowledge Base is still available, it has just been moved (and it is indeed in a Beta Phase as Jerzy mentioned).

You can now access it via your Account or via this link: http://talisma.sdl.com

However, it seems that you really cannot report bugs there any more. There is a different platform where you can suggest ideas for future releases though, not sure if you are aware of this one: http://ideas.sdltrados.com

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Claudia

Yes, since the SDL site was 'Tridionised' it has become easier to get lost. I am surprised that they do not post regular updates of all changes to registered users.

Another slightly odd aspect is that the purchasing a Level 2 support contract gives you..."One designated representative who will be flagged as having a support contract when they put a request into the support centre." Having queried this with SDL, I was told that this effectively means that support is 'delegated' among fellow users. In other works, let's all network. Seems an odd attitude for the proprietor (cf Jarek's comments above).

However - and this is a big 'however' - for £149 p.a. a Level 2 Support Program also gives you..."FREE upgrades, updates and service packs for the whole year..."

Given the flak that SDL variously gets about prices, updates, etc. I don't think that's too bad a bottom line?

In my case, as a 'mere' erstwhile purchaser of SDLX 2005, they tell me that I would qualify for a free upgrade to SDLTrados 2007. Not bad, given all the extras mentioned here www.proz.com/topic/94261.

Is it possible that they are not making this clear enough to people?

Chris

[Edited at 2008-01-18 12:06]

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Well, I know the documentation pretty well Jan 18, 2008

LegalTrans_ wrote:

From my experience the quality of Trados documentation is higher than acceptable – I guess people do not use the manuals efficiently. There are some tricks not covered by manuals, but you shouldn't expect that you will get a complete troubleshooting information in the manual.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:16
English to French
+ ...
Not if you work on a laptop, like many of us do Jan 18, 2008

Stefan Keller wrote:

The actual shortcut is "Alt" plus the "+" on the numeric keypad (therefore referred to as "Num+"). Makes two keys according to my maths.

This is not the case if you use a laptop. And even if you were using a desktop - how natural is it for your right hand and fingers to reach for the Num+ key at each and every segment? We could go on and on about what the most convenient shortcut would be for this purpose - but if it was at least feasible to assign our own shortcut keys, everybody, and I mean everybody, would be happy. How hard can that be?

This is just one of many, many problems, some of which are causing a much bigger headache to users than shortcut keys - such as getting the software to run, to start with.

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Well... Jan 19, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
how natural is it for your right hand and fingers to reach for the Num+ key at each and every segment?

Although this is *slightly* off topic: The Num+ key is one of the easiest to hit for me - whether blind, drunk or asleep

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
- but if it was at least feasible to assign our own shortcut keys, everybody, and I mean everybody, would be happy. How hard can that be?

It *is* feasible, and it's easy, you just need to do it! But you need to know how to assign keyboard shortcuts to macros in Word. Nothing to do with Trados whatsoever. Which leads us back to the question, how many of the reported "issues" are really genuinely Trados-related...

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 19:16
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Kind of unrelated... Jan 19, 2008

Is it me, or are people failing to see that comparing a software company to Microsoft or Symantec is much like using Mexico as a benchmark for competitive sumo wrestling or Alaska as a benchmark for top-quality mariachi ensembles? Unless we're talking profit, that is...

Viktoria Gimbe
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Not if you use TagEditor Jan 19, 2008

Stefan Keller wrote:

The Num+ key is one of the easiest to hit for me - whether blind, drunk or asleep

Easy, maybe, but how about natural? Especially when you use a laptop and you don't have a Num+ key...

But you need to know how to assign keyboard shortcuts to macros in Word.

Oh, but I do! It's just that I use TagEditor. Any solution for that?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
They do... Jan 19, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Stefan Keller wrote:

The Num+ key is one of the easiest to hit for me - whether blind, drunk or asleep

Easy, maybe, but how about natural? Especially when you use a laptop and you don't have a Num+ key...

But you need to know how to assign keyboard shortcuts to macros in Word.

Oh, but I do! It's just that I use TagEditor. Any solution for that?

I've already posted this somwhere here - just hit the Fn key on your laptop keyboard and then locate those extra signs corresponding to the Fn key on your laptop keyboard.
The keyboard you see below is from a Mac, but this really doesn't matter - all laptops look similar.

Best regards
Jerzy

Viktoria Gimbe
Canada
English to French
+ ...
That is besides the point Jan 20, 2008

The question is not whether I know the shortcut on a laptop (I do) - it is whether it makes any sense using such a shortcut. I just find it is waaaaaay to complicated and using a mouse is much faster. Trust me, I am not alone in seeing it this way.

How hard could it have been to program things so that a more user-friendly shortcut is used for such an elementary function? Let's not mention the other shortcuts on a laptop - some of them are simply impossible to use.

As so
... See more
The question is not whether I know the shortcut on a laptop (I do) - it is whether it makes any sense using such a shortcut. I just find it is waaaaaay to complicated and using a mouse is much faster. Trust me, I am not alone in seeing it this way.

How hard could it have been to program things so that a more user-friendly shortcut is used for such an elementary function? Let's not mention the other shortcuts on a laptop - some of them are simply impossible to use.

As someone mentioned before, it just seems like the people who made the product never used the product, and don't seem to care about it's usability either.

Don't get me wrong, I like my Trados. I just feel that it is not SDL's priority that I use it in a manner that makes a lot of sense (I guess nobody at SDL has carpal tunnel syndrome) - if they put as much effort into usability as they put into advertizing, I would be one happy Trados user.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BIG letdown: SDL kills complimentary support!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »