Mobile menu

preparing word files for tag editing
Thread poster: T o b i a s
Jan 18, 2008

My client supplies files which have been converted somehow into word from pdf. In tag editor, every word and every space is surrounded by a pair of codes. For example, the text

"associado a cada desvio"

appears as

associado
a cada desvio.

in tag editor. How can I prepare the word files so I do not have to look at this? Is there a way to import into tag editor so I don't see this. In the original word doc, the text appears normal.

Direct link Reply with quote

T o b i a s
TOPIC STARTER
oops Jan 18, 2008

I guess I should have previewed. None of the garbage codes are visible in the post I just made. They seem to have been filtered out by the system here. If anyone can point me on cleaning up Word files to reduce the number of junk tags that appear in tag editor, I would appreciate it.

Images of the condition can be seen at

http://tobias.home.net2go.com:8008/folders/public

[Edited at 2008-01-18 01:20]

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:11
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Convert into txt Jan 18, 2008

I cannot open your files at the location you mentioned, it takes forever.
But anyway, one way to try to resolve this would be to open the file in Word, and then save at as a Plain text (txt) file.
That should get rid of all formatting.
Then, you can translate this txt file using Tageditor, or Workbench, then at the end you can format the whole document to look like the original PDF. (If that's included in what you agreed on doing).

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 21:11
German
+ ...
The file is severely messed up Jan 18, 2008

I think the blanks are formatted differently from the rest of the text - a typical PDF conversion artifact.

In this case, it may make sense for you to translate the file using the Trados toolbar in Word.

Or, if you have access to the original PDF file and some decent OCR software such as ABBY Scansoft PDF Converter or ABBYY PDF Transformer or FineReader, you may try to convert the file again.

HTH,
Benjamin

T o b i a s
TOPIC STARTER
pdf conversion artifacts Jan 18, 2008

Benjamin is right on target. My problem is that the client prefers to do the pdf conversion so I am stuck with the artifacts i.e. word file with blanks mis-formatted. I expect the artifacts arise from Brazilian (client) / US (mine) versions of windows xp and different default language codes, but I haven't worked this out yet.

[Edited at 2008-01-18 13:32]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
That reminds me Jan 18, 2008

In your case, you may want to try disabling support for "[Asian and] complex scripts" in the Trados Filter Settings applet (in the Windows Start menu).

HTH,
Benjamin

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Interesting Jan 21, 2008

tectranslate wrote:

In your case, you may want to try disabling support for "[Asian and] complex scripts" in the Trados Filter Settings applet (in the Windows Start menu).

HTH,
Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,

That's an interesting solution, I never reflected about this setting. Exactly what does it do?!

/Jan

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Complex scripts Jan 21, 2008

Sorry, I don't really have total, 100% insight into the workings of Trados, but I think this option might reduce the number of tags in the text and therefore be helpful with Tobias' problem. It's probably documented in the on-line help.

Did it work, Tobias?

B

T o b i a s
TOPIC STARTER
Disabling Asian scripts Jan 21, 2008

As it happens, I had Asian fonts installed, although I didn't need them. Disabling them made no difference.

I also tried doing a global search and replace of the white spaces, to no avail.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

preparing word files for tag editing

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs