Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:17
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 18, 2008

Hi.

I have a brand new Vista machine. SDL Trados 2007. Office 2007.

After reading about (and experiencing!) the ridiculously slow speed of Trados in Word 2007, I downgraded to Word 2003, which I used on my previous XP machine.

I CANNOT get the Trados toolbar to show automatically when I open Word now. I copied the Trados8 template into the Startup folder, like normal, but it doesn't open when I open Word. I have to go into Templates & Add-Ons and check
... See more
Hi.

I have a brand new Vista machine. SDL Trados 2007. Office 2007.

After reading about (and experiencing!) the ridiculously slow speed of Trados in Word 2007, I downgraded to Word 2003, which I used on my previous XP machine.

I CANNOT get the Trados toolbar to show automatically when I open Word now. I copied the Trados8 template into the Startup folder, like normal, but it doesn't open when I open Word. I have to go into Templates & Add-Ons and check the Trados8 template, which shows up under Global Templates, to see it show on the screen.

I've tried to modify the normal.dot template, but I get an error that I cannot modify it and save it (with a different name, of course) into the same folder where it resides currently. So I go into Templates & Add-ons, open the Trados template, make sure everything is fine, and save normal.dot onto my desktop. Then I move in into the Startup folder, remove the regular normal.dot file, rename my new one as normal.dot, open Word and ... no Trados toolbar. I have to go back to Templates & Add-ons to get it to show again.

Can anyone help me? This is getting frustrating.

Thanks.
Sandra
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 06:17
German to English
+ ...
Correct folder? Jan 18, 2008

Have you copied the trados8.dot into the correct folder/directory? There are two startup directories in Office 2003.

The correct one is C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

where USER NAME is your Windows user name.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

At wit's end: getting toolbar to show automatically in Word 2003

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »