Nathalie Warner
Nathalie Warner  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:14
Member (2006)
English to French
Jan 22, 2008

Hi

My recent translation work is arriving in Word documents with two columns. The left column is the source and the right column is blank and where I have to put the translated text.

At the moment I am going through the entire document and copy & pasting the source into the right column and then manually stepping through it via workbench - by manually stepping through it I mean I have to use 'Open/Get' and 'Close' then I have to manually click on the next row down rath
... See more
Hi

My recent translation work is arriving in Word documents with two columns. The left column is the source and the right column is blank and where I have to put the translated text.

At the moment I am going through the entire document and copy & pasting the source into the right column and then manually stepping through it via workbench - by manually stepping through it I mean I have to use 'Open/Get' and 'Close' then I have to manually click on the next row down rather than using 'Set/Close Next Open/Get' as this obviously selects the left panel source.

Is there a better way to do this as I find it terribly time consuming when I have hundreds of rows each with just 1 or 2 words or a short sentence in them, not to mention getting hand cramp from CTRL+C then CTRL+V as I only have small hands!?!

Thanks
Collapse

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
format with tw4winexternal Jan 22, 2008

Select the entire left column and copy the contents to the right column. Apply the Trados style tw4winexternal to the left column. In this way you should be able to go through the text the usual way.
When you're done, you could reapply the normal style (but be aware of any previous formatting)

[Edited at 2008-01-22 14:32]

Nathalie Warner
Nathalie Warner  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
heh Jan 22, 2008

well that was easy enough.

Many thanks ReneevB

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Or translate in a separate file Jan 22, 2008

If you can copy the entire left column, you could also create a new document, insert the text to translate (just the one column), translate the text, and then copy it back to the right column in the original document. This may create a total of three columns, but then you just select and delete in empty (rightmost) column.

Jørgen

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do not use tw4winexternal... Jan 22, 2008

as it will change your formatting after you remove it, so that you will need to reformat the text.
Just select the source column (if it is table, it's easier) and hide id - go to Format - Character and select "hidden characters" as formatting. Than translate in Tageditor - you will only have to translate all text which is not hidden.
As for copying and pasting I'm afraid I do not have a better idea.

Best regards
Jerzy

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
copy source column from backup source file Jan 22, 2008

Yes, you could use Tageditor, but if you prefer Word, you could also copy and paste the source column from the source file.

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 17:14
English to Arabic
+ ...
I use this way Jan 23, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

as it will change your formatting after you remove it, so that you will need to reformat the text.
Just select the source column (if it is table, it's easier) and hide id - go to Format - Character and select "hidden characters" as formatting. Than translate in Tageditor - you will only have to translate all text which is not hidden.
As for copying and pasting I'm afraid I do not have a better idea.

Best regards
Jerzy

I agree with Jerzy. It is the easiest and hassle-free way in my view.

Kind regards

Cinzia Barrella
Cinzia Barrella  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:14
English to Italian
tw4winExternal on an Excel>Word table Aug 15, 2008

Hallo,

I have an issue which is pretty similar to the one described in this thread but I cannot find a good workaround.

I copied 3 columns from Excel to Word and I need to use TWB (not TagEditor) for translating on Word the content that was originally entered in Excel.

Now, one column contains the source text, which I can translate and cleanup without any need to retain the English text. The other columns are simply used as reference as they contain comp
... See more
Hallo,

I have an issue which is pretty similar to the one described in this thread but I cannot find a good workaround.

I copied 3 columns from Excel to Word and I need to use TWB (not TagEditor) for translating on Word the content that was originally entered in Excel.

Now, one column contains the source text, which I can translate and cleanup without any need to retain the English text. The other columns are simply used as reference as they contain complex string IDs providing extra bits of information that can help me understand the context related to the source text (for example, it tells me if the person speaking is male or female and so on), so I need to keep them visible and hiding them would not solve my problem.

On a normal day I would simply copy the column with source text and keep the Excel file open to use as reference, however, while browsing the forum I stumbled across the 'tw4winexternal' style, read Gianfranco's explanation [http://www.proz.com/post/458557#458557] and I thought that this would be ideal for my needs.

However, when I apply the tw4winexternal style to the columns containing the context – which I do not need to translate - and I position the cursor on the column containing the source text, something unexpected happens: TWB opens the segment and lets me translate it, then when I use Set/Close Next Open/Get the cursor runs straight to the end of the table ignoring all the other cells in the English column. So I'm a bit lost as this means I would need to open and close each cell individually, slowing down the entire process.

Does anybody know why this happens and if there's any solution to this issue?

Thanks a lot for you help =)

Cinzia
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Copy only the column to be translated from Excel to Word Aug 15, 2008

But why on earth don't you translate Excel in Tageditor?
Use the Excel ability to hide unnecessary columns and open the file in Tageditor. This way you will only see what you have to translate.
If you MUST go for Word: the behaviour you describe is unfortunately normal, when text in tabel is formatted as TW4Win.external - it is skipped and with it the whole row too.
To avoid that - mark unneccesary columns, go to character formatting and set them to be "hidden text". Then open
... See more
But why on earth don't you translate Excel in Tageditor?
Use the Excel ability to hide unnecessary columns and open the file in Tageditor. This way you will only see what you have to translate.
If you MUST go for Word: the behaviour you describe is unfortunately normal, when text in tabel is formatted as TW4Win.external - it is skipped and with it the whole row too.
To avoid that - mark unneccesary columns, go to character formatting and set them to be "hidden text". Then open the file in Tageditor - and you have the same situation, as would you have opened Excel with hidden columns there. The text you don't need to translate does not appear anymore.
Collapse

Cinzia Barrella
Cinzia Barrella  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:14
English to Italian
I understood that but... Aug 15, 2008

If you read my post in details, you will see that I mentioned that I need to keep those column visible as they give me information which is crucial for translating the cells in the source text, which is also one of the reasons why I need to use TWB and I cannot hide text. I do need the non-translatable text to be visible as immediate reference to what I am translating rather then keeping the Excel file open... I am experimenting for finding an alternative to keeping 2 documents open and switchin... See more
If you read my post in details, you will see that I mentioned that I need to keep those column visible as they give me information which is crucial for translating the cells in the source text, which is also one of the reasons why I need to use TWB and I cannot hide text. I do need the non-translatable text to be visible as immediate reference to what I am translating rather then keeping the Excel file open... I am experimenting for finding an alternative to keeping 2 documents open and switching from one to the other, I just wonder if it's possible that the brains behind Trados did not think about this possibility.Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Revert the order of your columns Aug 15, 2008

Place the translatable text as first column and keep the untranslatable text as second/third column. This way Trados will possibly not skip the complete row when pressed ALT+NUM+ to go to the next segment.
Whan all those does not help, open the file in Excel, where you can see all what you need and use the T-Window for Clipboard.

But TBH I would have printed out the text to have a reference in front of me and translated just this very column from Excel in Tageditor.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word files with two columns

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »