Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:58
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 26, 2008

Hi everyone,

For a number of years I have been learning and using Trados, and I feel pretty comfortable with it.

Now the time has come for me to learn SDLX, and I find myself puzzled with the process, as it is so different from what I'm used to. I've heard many times that SDLX is easier than Trados, so I definitely want to give this a good try, rather than resorting to translating in Trados and exporting to SDLX (which, to be honest, I don't even know if it can be done reliably).

I have a couple of very basic questions:

1. Where is the TM? I got an ITD file from the client and analysis results indicating some Exact matches and some other things. When I open the file in SDLX, there is no mention or indication of a TM, nor did I get one from the client, so, is the TM somehow embedded in the ITD file?

2. In the target segment, it's getting annoying to have to delete the source text every time. Is there a shortcut for this? (maybe a keyboard combination or a setting)

I still can't get used to the fact that a simple stroke of the Enter key records the translation and takes you to the next segment (Trados requires so much more than that!). Is it really that simple?

Thanks!

Nora

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some answers Jan 26, 2008

Nora Diaz wrote:
1. Where is the TM? I got an ITD file from the client and analysis results indicating some Exact matches and some other things. When I open the file in SDLX, there is no mention or indication of a TM, nor did I get one from the client, so, is the TM somehow embedded in the ITD file?

As in Trados, the TM is separate from the document. My guess is that the client pretranslated the document (you'll probably see some target-language segments in the right-hand column) but didn't send you the TM.

You can either create your own TM (from the "switchboard" window) or work without one.

The color of the block next to the pretranslated segment tells you whether it was an exact match or a fuzzy match.

I still can't get used to the fact that a simple stroke of the Enter key records the translation and takes you to the next segment (Trados requires so much more than that!). Is it really that simple?

By default, no. I think you can configure it to save segments to the TM as you confirm them, but the default mode is to do it at the end by clicking one of the buttons on the toolbar. (I'm not in front of the software right now so I don't remember what this function is called or what the button looks like.)

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very helpful! Jan 26, 2008

Thanks Steven,

To clarify further: the file is not pretranslated, so now, based on your answer, I'm thinking that this might be a misunderstanding based on different terms used in Trados and SDLX. I'm thinking "Exact" refers to repetitions within the file and not 100% matches to a TM.

I've now created a TM, since I was working without one (I had no idea that was possible). I've found the button you're referring to and have updated the TM, so your info has been very helpful, otherwise I would have translated 5000 words without ever saving the TM!

Now I'm trying to figure out the colors within the segments, I have some segments with up to 4 different colors in them: beige, green, blue and purple.

Unfortunately the help file refuses to work under Windows Vista. : (

Thanks again!

Nora

Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:58
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Colours Jan 27, 2008

Nora,

You have not to figure out the colours. They are by default.

In your Idt file:
Tools
Set Colours (best is to restore defaults)
But you can see what colours for what

Tools>Options>Auto-propagate is very usefull.

Best,

Geneviève

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:58
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Colours are showing formatting Jan 27, 2008

You probably mean the codes for formatting codes. These tags can be shown in writing too, under the View-menu.
The fact that the source text is shown also on the right side allows you to preserve different formatting. If there appears a green cell quite to the left of the source cell after you press Enter, that means some formatting has been lost. You can than try Format paint, which is a rather tricky thing in SDLX sometimes. If nothing helps try to copy source to target and start again more carefully. In any case SDLX will remind you of formatting issues when saving or closing the document.
I nowadays use "show tags as text" rather than color. Often a whole chunk of formatting is not needed in the source segment, then I put only a space between the tags.

At Yahoo Groups is a SDLX user group, which I find often very helpful. I should have read the manual by now, but don't even know where it is.

Regards
Heinrich

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:58
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Formatting paint Jan 27, 2008

I met with lost texts in translation when I ignored the format paint. It needs more time to translate with SDLX format paint if compared with Trados TagEditor. But this is improved with more learning curve.
TM from SDLX is a bit different from those of Trados, in particular on formatting. But they are well compatible.

Regards,
Soonthon L.

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Format painting Jan 27, 2008

For Trados users, this is the main tricky thing to learn in SDLX. It's a great feature, but it doesn't have a close parallel in Trados so you just have to learn it... which is tricky since you said you can't get the Help function to work.

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, format painting, the greatest challenge so far. Jan 27, 2008

Thank you, everyone, for your comments.

The Help menu doesn't work, but I managed to find the "Guide to SDL Edit and Translating ITD Files" in the program documentation, and that has been extremely useful.

I'm still in the learning curve and moving along slowly when it comes to format painting segments, but hope to pick up the pace and at least match my Trados productivity (or maybe even improve it!).

My aim right now is to learn all the shortcuts so I can use mostly the keyboard, rather than having to use the mouse so much.

Thanks again,

Nora

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Very basic questions about SDLX

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs