Thread poster: Nora Diaz

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:26
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 27, 2008

I am at the beginning of the learning curve with SDLX and so far the greatest challenge has been the format painting process.

I think I've managed the basics but I'm finding a recurring inconvenience and I wonder if I can solve it.

Some background:

I received the ITD file from the client.
I'm translating from English to Spanish.
I have access to the original file and can see the intended format there.

For some reason, when a sentence contains an apostrophe, formatting appears in different colors for the text before the apostrophe, for the apostrophe and after the apostrophe. So, for instance, if I have a phrase that reads:

Joshua's car

"Joshua" is highlighted in purple
the apostrophe is highlighted in yellow
and "s car" is highlithed in blue

I look at the original file and can see no difference in font or formatting between the apostrophe and the rest of the text, so the formatting doesn't make sense to begin with. (When is this formatting determined?)

Then, in Spanish, there will be no apostrophes, so I'm forced to apply formatting (three different transitions) to a segment that doesn't need any. The wasted time is unbelievable, as this is a long document with many instances like this.

Is there a way of indicating that the apostrophes should not be formatted differently or something to that effect?

Thanks!

Nora

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:26
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Show as text Jan 28, 2008

Perhaps if you look at this when tags are shown as text you can decide what to do. It should satisfie SDLX if each formatting appears only once. What you dont need you can put to the end of the segment, as is done in Trados.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-01-28 06:44]

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:26
English to German
Known issue Jan 28, 2008

Hi Nora,

This is something peculiar about SDLX with some source formats.

I guess the apostrophe in English is some "curly" stuff? In some source formats, this is being interpreted as a special formatting by SDLX. So, what SDLX should do is treating the part to the left of the apostrophe as "normal", the apostrophe as "special", and the part to the right of the apostrophe as "normal" again. However, if the standard font in the original is something different than what the MS Word default template says, everything will be "special". In segments that have the same format throughout, everything's fine. But as soon as a second format occurs, then the whole text is somehow coloured.

You can delete the format of the apostrophe by entering the Format Paint mode, highlighting the unwanted format in the *source*(!) column, and press the DEL key. The source segment will turn purple then, which you can ignore.
But you need to make sure that the target segment will contain both of the remaining formats, and also make sure that every character (including spaces) will have one of these colours applied to, otherwise they will show a different font in the final output.

This (Format Painting) is one of the main reasons why I prefer overtyping the original in the target column. Saves a lot of format paining, if you simply type into the formats that are already present.

HTH,
Stefan

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A little red mark (inverted V) at the end of the segment Jan 28, 2008

Thank you both. I guess I was hoping I could go to options and uncheck a box or something to prevent having to delete the unwanted formatting every time it appears.

I think I'm finally getting the hang of it, although it's quite tricky when the formatting is applied to a single character, like in the case of the apostrophe. I'm finding the Preview feature very helpful.

One more question: what is the little red mark that sometimes appears at the end of a segment? It looks like an inverted V, and I suspect it appears when I've made a mistake in formatting.

Thanks again!

Nora

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:26
English to German
Not really a problem Jan 28, 2008

Hi Nora,

This red mark shouldn't be a real problem in most cases, although I try avoiding them.

I found they particularly frequently occur in segments that are completely filled with format colours (like the ones you described).
A very handy shortcut is Ctrl+F4, which copies all source formats to the target, although this will put all the formattings at the very end of the segment and you will have to paint them to the desired parts. However, if you press Ctrl+F4 you can at least rest assured that no formats are missing in the target. You just need to put them at the right spot.

What I do to get rid of these red marks is pressing Ctrl+F4, then painting one format after the other. Once it comes to painting the last format of the segment, I paste it to any incorrect place first (making sure it does not include the last character of the segment). This should make the red mark disappear. Now you can paste the format to the correct place.

Did you notice the option "Press enter to confirm format paste" (on the Format Paint tab under Tools>Options ? This used to be enabled by default in earlier versions, don't know whether they changed this. Make sure that this option is disabled to speed up the process.

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 28, 2008

Thank you, Stefan!

The Press enter to confirm format paste option came disabled in my version, so thankfully that wasn't an issue.

: )

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX format paint and apostrophes

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs