Mobile menu

How to use Trados 7
Thread poster: germangenie
Local time: 17:57
English to German
+ ...
Jan 28, 2008

This is the first time for me using Trados 7 with Microsoft 03 and I have ALOT of questions but I am just going to ask the ones that are most important right now:-)

-How do you spell check your target language in trados or can you?
-Does Trados offer Umlauts (used in German Language, they are dots over Vowels)?
-Does Trados give you Terms or suggestions, other then the ones giving in the Memory (which I do not have since I just started using it) so I won't have to look every unknown word up?
-And is there a easy way to fill Trados Memory with words, since I do not have it yet?
-And summed up what does Trados really help you with, as of right now it seems as though it is just making it harder and more time consuming to translate:-) Why do clients want you to use Trados?

Thank you for any answers, I am just really new to this and I want to use Trados because there are many Translation jobs that are posted that require you to use it!

Thanks again!!!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-01-28 09:32]

Direct link Reply with quote

Local time: 23:57
Member (2007)
Dutch to English
starter's course Jan 28, 2008

It sounds like you really don't have any experience with Trados at all, so I would suggest taking a course or maybe asking a fellow translator who uses Trados to help you get you started. It can be very daunting if you've never worked with it before.

Eleni Makantani
Local time: 00:57
Partial member
English to Greek
+ ...
Welcome! Jan 28, 2008

Hello, Germangenie, and welcome to Trados! I also use Trados 7 with MS Office 2003.

It was just like that for me two years ago and all I have to say is that learning to use Trados (I mean, the most important features) shouldn't take you more that an hour. Trados 7 package includes a tutorial (Start - Programs - Trados - Tutorials - New to Trados) which shows you how to get started and start working.

At Trados you can spellcheck your work just like with any open Word document (but maybe it is a good idea to spellcheck your source text before starting the translation and the translated text after cleanup).

I don't use German, but Trados is said to support a large number of languages, so it is highly likely that it supports Umlauts.

Trados just gives you what you feed it with - so if you work on an empty TM (translation memory), it won't give you anything. Still, your clients might want to provide you with an existing TM to import in your own if you work on a relevant project. You might also want to use WinAlign to create matches between source and translated texts you have already worked on, thus enriching your TM with work you know is relevant to your new project and giving value to your past projects (for WinAlign, see relevant tutorial).

In my opinion, using Trados (or, I guess, any other CAT tool, but Trados is the only one I have ever used) is indispensable to any professional translator. Do you remember looking for that text, which your client had given you five months ago, and which you now have to use again, because there are similarities with your new project? Well, if you have Trados, you don't have to waste time trying to locate and then find and open old projects - everything is in the relevant TM. The same for individual terms, which you can summon using the Concordance button on the Word Trados toolbar. Trados will allow you to keep the desired consistency with terminology and language items in the same large project. It will also allow you to undertake projects from a new client using the TM of his previous translator, which the client finds acceptable. Moreover, with Trados you don't have to worry about losing your work in case you forget to save or if there is a power black-out or if your computer crashes or if you simply cannot find the file you were working on. Everything is saved in the TM sentence after sentence.

I wish you all the best in your new beginning. Be cool, and you will see that it is not that a big deal, after all. If you see you cannot do it, however, consider taking Buck's advice and taking a starter's course (but I think it won't be necessary). And if you have any colleagues, friends or clients that use Trados and are experienced with it, do not hesitate to ask for advice.

Local time: 17:57
English to German
+ ...
Thanks Jan 28, 2008

Thank you so much Eleni for your advice and encouraging words. Really helped a bunch! I was about to kiss Trados goodbye:-) Is it normal to ask clients to provide you with a TM?

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:57
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Many clients don't provide TMs Jan 28, 2008

Hi Germangenie,

In my experience, only a small percentage of clients provide you with a TM. For the most part you have to build your own translation memories as you translate new projects.

There are two separate components you will need:

1. Trados: Workbench (for Word files) or TagEditor (for other types of files), to handle the actual translation memory. This is where every sentence or phrase you translate gets stored and is available for retrieval later on. When you are working with Workbench, for example, you need to have both Workbench and Word open, each occupying a portion of the screen. The two programs interact as you translate.

2. Multiterm is the component that handles your glossaries and dictionaries. Let's say you have a list of Medicine terms that you want to use for reference. You need to enter this list into Multiterm, then tell Trados Workbench to go and look at the Multiterm termbase (the database you've created with your word list) and see if any of the words that need to be translated are included in that list. Please note that Multiterm has to be installed for this to work. A friend of mine didn't realize Multiterm wasn´t included in the standard installation and couldn't take advantage of this powerful tool. If you don't have the installation files, make sure you download the appropriate Multiterm installation files, then install the program.

Good luck with Trados!

Local time: 16:57
English to Spanish
Search in forums Jan 30, 2008

Hi germangenie, I would also recommend you to take a starter's course but in the meantime you can search in the forums for "trados manual" or "trados tutorial". I'm sure you'll find a lot of information.

You can find some information here:

Good lucK!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to use Trados 7

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs