https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/95528-s_tagger_not_working_for_korean.html

S-Tagger not working for Korean
Thread poster: KorTranz
KorTranz
KorTranz  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:01
English to Korean
+ ...
Jan 28, 2008

I converted a mif file into a rtf using S-Tagger. I was able to translate into Korean using Tag Editor. After translation, I cleaned the ttx file with Workbench. I converted the resulting rtf back into a mif file. But none of the translated text (Korean) showed up. Only English fonts showed up. Next, I converted the ttx file into a mif file. It worked but all Korean text was broken up (illegible). Can someone help me? Thanks!!

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
Local time: 12:01
English to German
Did you select the Symbol option under Character Set? Jan 28, 2008

When you converted the file, did you select the Symbol option under Character Set option on the Settings tab in S-Tagger for FrameMaker?
If not you'll probably have to reconvert the MIF file.
You also need to use FontMapper to replace the Latin fonts with Korean ones.

Olaf

KorTranz
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
FontMapper Jan 28, 2008

Thank you for your suggestions!! I am using Framemaker 8.0, and I've noticed that the FontMapper utility does not support FrameMaker 8.0 MIF documents (http://www.sdl.com/en/Images/Release%20notes%20SP2%20FL_tcm16-5580.pdf). I also tried selecting "Symbol". It is still not working.

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
FrameMaker 8 Jan 29, 2008

You have to upgrade to the latest Service Pack/build of Trados 2007. Earlier versions do not support FM8.

KorTranz
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still not working Jan 29, 2008

I updated my SDL Trados to Build 835. But it's still not working. All Korean fonts looks illegible in Framemaker. Where do I get FontMapper? How do I use it? Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for your help in advance!

KorTranz
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Font Mapper Jan 29, 2008

Okay. I found Font Mapper and read the instruction manual. I am trying this now. After clicking "Start" button and receiving a "Finished loading font files" message, I clicked "Next". But the next window gives me only one option to change to "Times New Roman". Is there a way to add other fonts? It nicely changes fonts, but I still don't see Korean fonts in the mif file. I think I need to add a korean font to Font Mapper. Can anyone help? THanks!

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
You need a Korean .mif file for Font Mapper Jan 29, 2008

It nicely changes fonts, but I still don't see Korean fonts in the mif file.

If you want to replace fonts, you need to save an existing Korean FrameMaker document with lots of font definitions in Character and Paragraph styles as a MIF file.
(Simply writing some Korean text won't work, the fonts need to be defined in Character and/or Paragraph styles.)
Select this file as a Font file. You should then see Korean fonts in the Available Fonts drop-down list box.
If all that doesn't work and the layout of the doc is rather simple, you can simply open the translated MIF file and press CTRL+A (Select all in Flow) and simply assign a new Korean font. This will take care of most font definitions. However, you might have to change some font definitions manually.

Olaf

KorTranz
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fonts Jan 29, 2008

Thanks, Olaf! I made a korean mif file with different styles such as "Title", "Body", "Bulleted", "Numbered", "Footnote"..... Even with this, the only available font is Times New Roman.

Do you know why I only have Times New Roman as an available font? I don't have anything else. I have many fonts under the current font column... I am so confused...

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Have you redefined the styles or simply applied font? Jan 30, 2008

KorTranz wrote:

Thanks, Olaf! I made a korean mif file with different styles such as "Title", "Body", "Bulleted", "Numbered", "Footnote"..... Even with this, the only available font is Times New Roman.

Have you redefined the styles or simply applied font? You have to redefine the style.

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
The fonts MIF file Jan 30, 2008

Do you know why I only have Times New Roman as an available font?

AFAIK, the font mapper needs a so called Font .mif file with paragraph or character styles. (That's the file that you specify in the middle of the Font Mapper dialog.)
Font Mapper will extract the font information from this file. If you only see Times New Roman, this probably means that your "Font MIF file" only contains style definitions that use Times New Roman. Since MIF files are text files you can easily check this by opening them in Notepad. Look for sections like the following:

<FPlatformName `W.Times.R.400'>
<FFamily `Times'>
<FVar `Regular'>
<FWeight `Regular'>
<FAngle `Regular'>
<FPostScriptName `Times-Roman'>
<FEncoding `FrameRoman'>

If you prepared the file correctly, you should see something like the following:

<FPlatformName `W.\xb1 \xbc \xb8 \xb2 \xc3 \xbc .R.400'>
<FFamily `\xb1 \xbc \xb8 \xb2 \xc3 \xbc '>
<FVar `Regular'>
<FWeight `Regular'>
<FAngle `Regular'>
<FEncoding `KSC5601-1992'>

(Korean characters have been replaced with hexadecimal values.) If you don't find any occurrences of KSC5601-1992, the Font MIF files doesn't contain Korean font information and therefore only Times New Roman is being displayed.
BTW, you don't have to use Font Mapper. You can simply select text in FM and change the font, but you'll need some FrameMaker skills to fix all font issues.

Olaf

[Edited at 2008-01-30 19:02]

KorTranz
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Jan 30, 2008

Hi Olaf,

Thank you so much for your post! Even when I manually change the font to a Korean font in the translated mif file in Framemaker, these illegible Korean words stay illegible.

After wrestling with this issue for several days, I changed the fonts in the original EN mif file with a Korean font (of course, this font has EN alphabets). Then, I went through the same precedure. It worked! So, I can now work in TagEditor and convert the EN mif file to a KO file. I
... See more
Hi Olaf,

Thank you so much for your post! Even when I manually change the font to a Korean font in the translated mif file in Framemaker, these illegible Korean words stay illegible.

After wrestling with this issue for several days, I changed the fonts in the original EN mif file with a Korean font (of course, this font has EN alphabets). Then, I went through the same precedure. It worked! So, I can now work in TagEditor and convert the EN mif file to a KO file. I don't know why this light bulb of mine comes on so slow.

All I had to do was changing the original font to a KO font. I just can't believe that I've spent countless hours figuring this out. I hope this info will benefit another poor soul like mine.

Thanks!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

S-Tagger not working for Korean

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »