Multiterm Convert: problem with converting a large Excel file
Thread poster: Lena Grainger

Lena Grainger
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:26
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 29, 2008

I am a translator of Russian and Ukrainian (Russian native speaker). I am writing this in English in the hopes of getting a bigger audience of Multiterm users.

After installing Trados and Multiterm 7, I decidd to create one large termbase, which I thought was going to be more convenient than having a lot of small termbases, so I pooled all my existing termbase (in Excel format) into one Excel spreadsheet, which now has around 2500 entries. When I try to convert it with Mulitern convert, it converts first 1300 (roughly) entries and then stops.

The names of columns in the spreadsheet and rules of conversion are as follows:
English (index field – English)
Ukranian (index field – Ukrainian)
Russian (index field – Russian)
Subtopic (descriptive field – text)
Source (descriptive field – text)
Example (descriptive field – text)
Reasoning (descriptive field – text)
Comment (descriptive field – text)
Termbase (descriptive field – text)

All columns are aligned left.

The “converting entries” stage goes OK for all 2500 entries – the problem only occurs when the termbase is already created, at "importing entries" stage.

Not sure what else is releavant.

Any help would be appreciated - if you need to see any log files or the Excel file in question I will send them to you (but no criticism of the actual translation please!)

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Local time: 02:26
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"Any help would be appreciated..." Jan 29, 2008

i. see a video "Use Case for MultiTerm Convert" on my profile

ii. send me the ExCel file, if #1 does not help

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:26
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try playing with some options Jan 29, 2008

When you import the converted Excel sheet, don't select the "Export is 100% compatible..." option, but for example try to select "Allow overcomplete entries" and see, if that helps.
I assume, you're using the default import defintion, am I right?
Are the language columns in your Excel file complete, or does the first one contain some missing entries? This might be also a reason for such behaviour.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm Convert: problem with converting a large Excel file

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs