symbols in Tageditor
Thread poster: jokerman

jokerman
Germany
Local time: 22:55
English to German
+ ...
Jan 30, 2008

Could someone enlighten me on how to insert symbols (e.g. _square_ as in 'square meter') when translating in TagEditor, please?

Thanks!

Igor

P.S: Trados 7 Freelance

Direct link Reply with quote

Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 07:25
English to Swedish
Try this.. Jan 30, 2008

I'm no expert and don't know if there is an easier way but this is what I do:

- find out what the shortcut is for the symbol, you can use word for this:
- open a blank document
- select Insert/Symbol in the menu
- find and select the symbol
- the shortcut key is displayed at the bottom right in the window
- in TagEditor all you need to do is to type the shortcut key (for "Superscript two" the shortcut key is Alt+0178) press the Alt key and type 0178 on your numerical keybord (to the right on your keyboard).

Maybe there is an easier way but I haven't found one.

Hope this helps!

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
File format? Jan 30, 2008

What is the original format of the file you are translating in TagEditor?

In most of the formats I have tried (Excel, PPT, Word, .isc), you can select the text or the number that you want to be in superscript, and then click the "X2" button in the toolbar. This will add a superscript tag around the text selected. Depending on your tag verification settings, you might get an error like 'You have added a tag in the target segment, do you want to continue' when you want to move to the next segment, just ignore it. When the file is converted to its original format, the text within the tag will be in superscript.

I hope I'm clear, if you have questions just let me know!

Marie-Claude

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:55
English to French
+ ...
Use Quick Key Jan 31, 2008

There is a neat little free program that allows you to add your own customized characters into any program you can enter text into. It is really easy to use and doesn't take up space on your desktop. Only when you hover on its tiny little bar does it display your catalogue of characters. It works great with TagEditor - in fact, now, I launch it every time I use TagEditor. It can insert characters in pretty much any alphabet!

It is called Quick Key and you can get it here: http://quickkeydotnet.sourceforge.net/

All the best!

jokerman
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ladies :-))) Feb 2, 2008

shortcut did the trick first, then the "x2"-button speeded the story up, and QuckKey is now running in the background . Thank you!

igor

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

symbols in Tageditor

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs