Thread poster: Nathalie Warner
Nathalie Warner
Nathalie Warner  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:40
Member (2006)
English to French
Feb 4, 2008

When using Trados 6.5 with Word XP I often get segments that won't close. I have to fix the document via the Trados option close the document and open again. After that it all seems to work fine but the segment that wouldn't close still appears to be open.

Why does it do this and what can I do to stop submitting translated documents with apparent open segments??

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 20:40
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sulution Feb 5, 2008

Hello Nathalie,

- Please Remove the opened segment manually (make sure you have copied/pasted its content (unformatted text) in a separate file first "file 2, for instance").

Copy source from file 2 and paste it without format (paste special).
- Now open such segment and paste translation.

HTH

Strastran (X)
Strastran (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
Copy & paste Feb 5, 2008

1. Save your file as [filename]_unclean.doc.
2. Select the offending section and delete it, tags included (to be able to do this, select Trados -> Toggle Tag Protection).
3. Open the original document received from the client.
4. Copy and paste the same section from the original document into the unclean file.
5. Click on Open/Get and your translation should appear in green.

This at least avoids sending files with yellow/green tags in them.

... See more
1. Save your file as [filename]_unclean.doc.
2. Select the offending section and delete it, tags included (to be able to do this, select Trados -> Toggle Tag Protection).
3. Open the original document received from the client.
4. Copy and paste the same section from the original document into the unclean file.
5. Click on Open/Get and your translation should appear in green.

This at least avoids sending files with yellow/green tags in them.

As for preventing it from happening in the first place, you'd have to ask SDL!
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Close Feb 5, 2008

Try closing without saving.

dutchbike (X)
dutchbike (X)
Local time: 18:40
English to Dutch
+ ...
Can't close segment, can't open new one, stuck! May 12, 2009

I'm trying to translate a questionnaire in Word with Workbench (Trados 2007), but can't close a segment. having read your previous comments, I cut and pasted the target segment into another document, but this won't close it either. The point is, I'm stuck, because it won't open any other segment for as long as this one is open. Also, surely you can't copy and paste most of the document if you've got a highly formatted questionnaire?! It's almost quicker to overkey?
Aletta Stevens

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segment won't close

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »