Boost your career as a professional translator!

Boost your career as a professional translator! SDL hosts a virtual conference featuring a selection of free resources to help grow your freelance business, as well as an update on the new features of the world’s most trusted translation software - SDL Trados Studio 2017

Click for Full Participation

Segmenting web addresses and abbreviations
Thread poster: Gustavo Caldas
Gustavo Caldas  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 4, 2008

I've been going thru the segmentation rules help documents and no matter how I configure them (including abbreviation lists, etc.), I am still not able to segment the following sentences:

This one segment, generated by the default settings of the Segmentation Rules...

AE, D, DC, MC, V. Continental breakfast.

I need it to be in 2 segments like this:

AE, D, DC, MC, V.
Continental breakfast.

And this other one segment, generated by the default settings of the Segmentation Rules...

It's all about fun. www.playalinda.com. 203 units, 66 studios, 95 1-bedroom suites, 33 2-bedroom suites.

I need it to be in 3 different segments, like this:

It's all about fun.
www.playalinda.com.
203 units, 66 studios, 95 1-bedroom suites, 33 2-bedroom suites.

By the way, I can work with either Trados 6.5 or 2007.

Thanks a lot for your prompt response!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 16:57
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Segmenting on a full stop.... Feb 5, 2008

AE, D, DC, MC, V. Continental breakfast.
It's all about fun. www.playalinda.com. 203 units, 66 studios, 95 1-bedroom suites, 33 2-bedroom suites.

"AE, D, DC, MC, V. " ends on the period (i.e. it is supposed to be one segment). Second, "It's all about fun." ends on the period, and "www.playalinda.com." does as well.

HUH????

Could it be (duh....) that somehow period is NOT a segmenting character in your TM?? Go to File/Setup/Segmentation rules in TWB and make sure Full stop is in there.

------------------------------------------------

I wrote first the text below, but then moved it to make place for what may be the solution - I am just adding this possibly superfluous information again below, because it may be useful (in this or some other case).
>>>>
I would need to see the whole picture to give a sensible suggestion. Here's a few, but you decide, what applies best. Its a sort of a salami tactics. What will help a lot is learning how to use word's search and replace to the full.

step 1: change the format of www. *.com strings to external - then they will be copied over with the rest without any changes

step 2: do the same for "AE", "D" ... if it is possible of course

The alternative is to change all this to "NOT TRANSLATABLE" format, only I do not know, if the segments do not get cut up this way - after all, we want all this to stay as it is, just not screw up the untranslatable parts.

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 5, 2008

Thanks Vito, but Full Stop is there and I have no problems with the segmentation of the rest of the text when there is a period.

I know the problem here is that "V" in "AE, D, DC, MC, V. Continental breakfast." is capitalized, and that's why it is not segmenting it there.

I also know that "It's all about fun. www.playalinda.com." is not being segmented because "www" starts with a lower case letter.

I tried configuring the segmentation rules so the segmentations did occur, but to no avail.

Thank you so much for your response Vito, it is very much appreciated.

GC

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any other suggestions? Feb 6, 2008

Other suggestions welcome...

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Note: Feb 6, 2008

I just can´t believe Trados doesn´t have a way to identify an e-mail address or web site address and create a segment of it, all by itself!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segmenting web addresses and abbreviations

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums