How to delete segments in WinAlign?
Thread poster: LittleBalu
LittleBalu
Germany
Local time: 02:45
English to German
+ ...
Feb 7, 2008

I'm currently aligning a huge Word file (DE>EN) that includes many segments I don't need and want to delete. Is there an easy way of doing this? I can edit, join, split or insert segments, but I haven't found how to delete them. Help much appreciated.

LB

Direct link Reply with quote

Ayman Ahmad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:45
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Depends on WinAlign version... Feb 7, 2008

Dear LB,

I believe that the deleting feature was not found in some versions of WinAlign, but I think it is available in version 7 and later versions. Please right click on any segment and check all the options available, you might find it there.

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Unlink the segments Feb 7, 2008

The trick here isn't to delete the segments but to unlink them.

Right-click the mouse on the little icon on either end of the line that links the source segment to the target segment. Then unlink the segments.

Any source segment that isn't aligned with a target segment will be omitted from the export file that WinAlign generates.

MouseManoeuvres
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:45
German to English
+ ...
Preparing documents for alignment Feb 7, 2008

Steven is right - there is no way to delete unwanted segments as you just disconnect them to not have them in the export file.
You can also do a multiple segment disconnect: Hold down your control key and mark all the segments you want to disconnect - then make a right mouse click on the selected segments and choose 'disconnect all selected units'. Warning: there is no undo button in WinAlign...

However, having large disconnected chunks sometimes makes work on a file very tedious and you can loose your overview.

My alignment experience is (and I've done 100s of them) to prepare your files before you feed them into WinAlign.

Delete all sections that you already know you do not need. Make sure the text flow in both language versions is the same (problems with headers and footers and when text is breaking across pages differently, or with sidenotes, or with extracted files from PDF).

Good luck with your work
Franziska

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Try PlusTools Feb 7, 2008

It is a free add-on to Wordfast, and its alignment feature beats WinAlign! hands down. It's simple and truly intuitive to use. Unless you have an odd pair of files to align you'll save a lot of time by dumping WinAlign.
Attila

LittleBalu
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks to you all. Feb 7, 2008

@Ayman: I do have Trados 7.0 but there's no "Delete segments" feature in WinAlign.

@Steven and Franziska: I don't work with WinAlign very often, so I didn't know that you just need to disconnect pairs to exclude them from being imported into WB. That was very helpful. Franziska, I did prepare the DE and EN files before aligning them, but they were some 120 pages long, and I simply overlooked several sentences/paragraphs that I don't need or have in my TM already. Thanks a lot again to you both.

@Attila: Great, but you're not suggesting that I buy Wordfast just to enjoy the benefits of PlusTools, are you?

Thanks again,
LB

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Plustools works with WF trial version Feb 9, 2008

@Attila: Great, but you're not suggesting that I buy Wordfast just to enjoy the benefits of PlusTools, are you?

No, I'm not. To be able to use PlusTools you have to install WF - but the trial version is fine for that purpose, so you don't have to pay anything. In such a configuration WF has limited functionality (TM cannot exceed 500 translation units) but not PlusTools.
See a very detailed description of the alignment procedure with PlusTools here.

Attila

LittleBalu
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ah! Feb 9, 2008

Attila Piróth wrote:

No, I'm not. To be able to use PlusTools you have to install WF - but the trial version is fine for that purpose, so you don't have to pay anything.

Attila

Thanks a lot, Attila. I'll keep that in mind in case another huge Word file needs aligning in the (hopefully very distant) future. So, it's no problem to import files created by PlusTools into Trados TMs?

Thanks again,
Ulrike (alias LittleBalu)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to delete segments in WinAlign?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs