Thread poster: Yaniv Moshkovitz

Yaniv Moshkovitz  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 23:36
Member (2014)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Feb 7, 2008

Hi, I'm having trouble cleaning up an HTML file. After clicking tools and cleanup and selecting the ttx file I want, I end up with a file my computer is unable to open. How do I generate a translated HTML file?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-02-07 20:49]

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 22:36
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
start from the beginning Feb 7, 2008

In such a situation I start from scratch. i.e. pretranslate the original html to ttx and try again to clean. After all, you have nothing to lose: you have the original and you have the translation memory.

If anything hangs up on the way, then you may have the cause for the present troubles to adress.

shalom

Vito

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Ditto Feb 8, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

In such a situation I start from scratch. i.e. pretranslate the original html to ttx and try again to clean.

I go with Vito!
Remember also to run strict tag verification, and check your settings to make sure that the tags are protected.

/Jan

Israel
Member (2014)
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help Feb 11, 2008

I tried that, but unfortunately it did not help. I have no idea what's wrong. The TagEditor won't even present a preview of the webpage. Perhaps there's something wrong with the files I received.

Thanks again.

aabam
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just save target as Feb 12, 2008

Hi janiv!

There is a simple solution. Save the file as target. In that case you will have the clean one.
Although when cleaning reports an error and not generate the clean file, I do not really why but the TM is updated. You can check using the Concordance option. You will see that this file is included on TM.

I have encountered this error so many times and the solution is once you have finished the file, save the file in both ways as target and as bilingual. If you are in a rush to deliver the file to the client, this is the quickest way. May be slower when there are a lot files but efficient.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
MJ

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
When/where do you get an error message? Feb 14, 2008

yaniv477 wrote:
After clicking tools and cleanup and selecting the ttx file I want, I end up with a file my computer is unable to open.

Hi Yaniv,

Let me try to understand what you're doing:
1. You managed to clean up the translation without getting any error message in TagEditor?
2. TE spat out a monolingual HTML file without complaining?
3. The "only" problem you have is that you can't open with a third party application like Firefox or MSIE?

To me, it seems that there might be tag problems with the HTML file, but this is not necessarily Trados fault.

Why don't you run the file thru a HTML validator?!
http://validator.w3.org/
http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/
(There are other freeware tools out there...)

Or did I completely misunderstand your problem?

/Jan

Israel
Member (2014)
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you again for your help Feb 17, 2008

I think the problem was with the file and definitely not with Trados. I tried to cleanup a basic HTML file and it did the job instantly. I spoke with the client who was aware of the problem and asked me to deliver only the TM.

Thanks again

brittak
English to German
+ ...
. Feb 23, 2010

I know, this thread is old, but how can I swith "strict tag verification" on? Thanks for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Troublesome HTML file cleanup with Tag Editor

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs