Thread poster: Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

Local time: 08:27
English to German
+ ...
Feb 12, 2008

I got a 40 k Excel file for review.

The file appears to be constituted of a vast number of little text pieces. In order to see how much repetitions there might be in I wished to analyse it in Workbench or SDLX.

But having selected it via tools/analyze in Workbench the process stalled - and nothing happened. With SDLX, after clicking "Analyse" I could even not get it into the process. -

And in addition, TagEditor itself did not open the file - giving the me
... See more
I got a 40 k Excel file for review.

The file appears to be constituted of a vast number of little text pieces. In order to see how much repetitions there might be in I wished to analyse it in Workbench or SDLX.

But having selected it via tools/analyze in Workbench the process stalled - and nothing happened. With SDLX, after clicking "Analyse" I could even not get it into the process. -

And in addition, TagEditor itself did not open the file - giving the message "a sharing violation occurred". I had this before, and the Trados support explained months ago that they were to resolve this. But apparently they haven't.

Could anyone help me out about getting an analysis of that Excel file - and about how I might be able to open it in Tag?
Collapse

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
copy/paste in Word Feb 12, 2008

If it's only for an analysis, you might try to copy/paste the text of the XLS into a Word doc and save this as doc/rtf. And than you could analyse.

Roland Nienerza

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for that tip - Feb 12, 2008

ReneevB wrote:

If it's only for an analysis, you might try to copy/paste the text of the XLS into a Word doc and save this as doc/rtf. And than you could analyse.

Thank you ReneevB -

That at least helped. I got the analysis after copy/pasting and saving as .rtf.

Another unclear matter for me is, whether one could translate the .rtf file in Tag Editor and reconvert the target text into Excel?

[Edited at 2008-02-12 21:05]

Sylvie Pilon (X)
Sylvie Pilon (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:27
English to French
Open the file from TagEditor Feb 12, 2008

Hi Roland,

You need to open TagEditor first. Then, from the File menu, you choose Open and select the appropriate Excel file in the appropriate directory (or use the Open icon in the tool bar). Then you will be able to use TagEditor to translate your file.

You then proceed as you would for other TagEditor files (save as bilingual or as target, as needed).

Hope this helps!

Gute nacht,
Sylvie

Roland Nienerza

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
unfortunately it did not open in Tag Feb 12, 2008

infolution wrote:

Hi Roland,

You need to open TagEditor first. Then, from the File menu, you choose Open and select the appropriate Excel file in the appropriate directory (or use the Open icon in the tool bar). Then you will be able to use TagEditor to translate your file.

You then proceed as you would for other TagEditor files (save as bilingual or as target, as needed).

Thank you Sylvie,

but as I had written - "And in addition, TagEditor itself did not open the file - giving the message "a sharing violation occurred". I had this before, and the Trados support explained months ago that they were to resolve this. But apparently they haven't."

And there are also troubles in trying to get it open in SDLX, althoug I would not like that anyway.

Sylvie Pilon (X)
Sylvie Pilon (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:27
English to French
Oops... Feb 12, 2008

Sorry Roland, I had missed that part of your message.

Sylvie

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I use Word Feb 17, 2008

Hi Roland,
I would simply translate the copy/pasted RTF document in Word, clean the translation afterwords and copy/paste the translated doc into XLS. You have to check if formatting is ok, but I find this the easiest way.

Roland Nienerza

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great - Feb 17, 2008

ReneevB wrote:

Hi Roland,
I would simply translate the copy/pasted RTF document in Word, clean the translation afterwords and copy/paste the translated doc into XLS. You have to check if formatting is ok, but I find this the easiest way.

I will keep this in mind.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

previewing Excel file in Trados or SDLX

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »