Tip of the day
Thread poster: Ivan Eikås Skjøstad

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:29
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Feb 15, 2008

Many users would like Trados to search through the "Reference translation memory", and tick this option.

The problem up to my version (do not know if Trados has fixed this in the lates version. I use 7.5) has been that Trados WB only searches one TM, and does not search the other one if no hits are found.

The same goes for presenting matches. Trados does not present any matches from the reference TM.

Suggestion: Export the TM you are using, and import it into the Reference TM. Set the Reference TM as your working TM.

This way it's possible to get hits from both TMs, and if you set the smaller working TM as reference, tick the "Search ref TM first". This way you have turned things around, and will get a better result. Also in your analysis...

Direct link Reply with quote

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:29
English to Dutch
+ ...
Workbench DOES search through both TM's Feb 15, 2008

The trouble for me was that Workbench presents only the matches of one TM. So if it finds something in the reference TM, it won't start looking in the other. However, if it doesn't find anything in the reference TM, it WILL look in the other TM. That has been so for as long as I can remember.

Importing your 'working TM' into your reference TM and then working with the reference TM can be useful, but creates extra work if you want your 'working TM' to stay up-to-date and exclusive for a particular client and it enlarges your reference TM. The only time I've had an irrepairable corrupt TM was after importing. Make sure you backup often.

Still, thanks for the tip.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tip of the day

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs