https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/97204-trados_toolbar_in_office_pro_2007_word.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Trados Toolbar in Office Pro 2007 Word?
Thread poster: ROCHA-ROBINSON
ROCHA-ROBINSON
ROCHA-ROBINSON  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:05
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Feb 15, 2008

Quick cry for help - probably very obvious but I have a pressing deadline and can't find the answer...

Just switched to Office Pro 2007 to find the Trados 7.0 toolbar doesn't automatically appear.
Anybody give me a quick 1,2,3 on where/how to locate and display this?
TKS!

Jussi Rosti
Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:05
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Menu Feb 15, 2008

There are no traditional toolbars in Word 2007.

Just push the SDL Trados text in the main menu.

Cheers!

Laura Crocè
Laura Crocè  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:05
English to Italian
+ ...
Hi, Steven! Feb 15, 2008

You 've just to put the Trados template in the word's startup folder.
Try this:
Copy the Trado.dot template in TRADOS subfolder and paste it into the "templates"folder of Word. In Word, select "template and adds-in" from the Tools menu.Click on "add" and select TRADOS.dot from the window opened (Add template).

HTH
Laura

[Modificato alle 2008-02-15 15:51]

ROCHA-ROBINSON
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tks! Feb 15, 2008

Thanks Potlatch & Jussi Rosti!

I copied & pasted the Trados.dot template from the Trados subfolder into the Word Startup Folder and now have an add-in option on the toolbar which now shows the traditional toolbar!

Haven't tried it yet but fingers crossed...here goes...

Thanks to you both for your speedy help and advice - much appreciated!

Steve

ROCHA-ROBINSON
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New Problem! - open/get segments Feb 15, 2008

Now I can see the Trados Toolbar as an Add-in and have enabled macros as requested to by Word but when I open/get a segment nothing happens... (?)
Any tips?
Much appreciated

Lydie Parisot
Lydie Parisot  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Same problem Feb 15, 2008

I have Windows Vista and Office Small Business 2007.

I can get the Trados toolbar to appear under Word 2007, but when I try to use it, I get the "could not find the end of paragraph error 333 whatever." and nothing.

I have gone back to using Word 2003 on my old XP computer for translation.

Anybody really made it work?

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Not me Feb 15, 2008

Was there, done that few weeks ago. Couldn't find the solution to that "end of paragraph not found", plus encountered heap of other problems with other programs, reverted to Office 2003.

Uldis

adelante wrote:
I can get the Trados toolbar to appear under Word 2007, but when I try to use it, I get the "could not find the end of paragraph error 333 whatever." and nothing.
I have gone back to using Word 2003 on my old XP computer for translation.
Anybody really made it work?

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:05
English to French
+ ...
Just a bit of advice Feb 16, 2008

How about not using always the latest of everything? Obviously, the latest Trados and the latest Word both still have issues. I just "upgraded" to Word XP, and I am happy to report that everything works neatly. What's the rush? Why not wait for the latest software to be old enough to get a driver's licence before asking it to drive us to work?

(Also, don't forget that the latest Word uses .docx file format - nothing is fully compatible with it yet...)

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Explanation Feb 16, 2008

We are an Agency and not so few clients already send us their documents in Office 2007 format. I just wanted to keep abreast with times, but alas- seems for next few years at least we will have to get by just with MS Office 2003 file format with Office 2007 Compatibility Pack. Not a big problem, sure Had I known the problems beforehand, I never would have tried to migrate to Office 2007. OTOH, there were not big problems before wi... See more
We are an Agency and not so few clients already send us their documents in Office 2007 format. I just wanted to keep abreast with times, but alas- seems for next few years at least we will have to get by just with MS Office 2003 file format with Office 2007 Compatibility Pack. Not a big problem, sure Had I known the problems beforehand, I never would have tried to migrate to Office 2007. OTOH, there were not big problems before with switching from Word 1995 to later versions up to 2003, so how could one know?

Uldis

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

How about not using always the latest of everything? Obviously, the latest Trados and the latest Word both still have issues. I just "upgraded" to Word XP, and I am happy to report that everything works neatly. What's the rush? Why not wait for the latest software to be old enough to get a driver's licence before asking it to drive us to work?

(Also, don't forget that the latest Word uses .docx file format - nothing is fully compatible with it yet...)
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:05
English to French
+ ...
I was cautious of Word 2007 Feb 17, 2008

When I learned that Word 2007 was going to introduce a new file format, I knew it wasn't a good idea to get it. On top of being a new version of a Microsoft product (which is already saying a lot), it also introduced a new file format, and that, to me, spells trouble.

I can imagine that so many clients switching to Word 2007 can be a big headache for an agency. Luckily, there is a compatibility pack. I am happy I don't have to deal with DOCX files!

ROCHA-ROBINSON
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word 2007 x Trados 7.0 Feb 17, 2008

Ok, point taken Victoria.
However, I wasn't going for the latest thing, simply buying what should already be a tried and tested product. It's not as if it came out last week.
Since Trados macros run well in Word 2003 I really can't see any justification for expecting anyone to 'wait around' while a later version of the same product is 'adjusted' to run/accept macros that an earlier copy accepted perfectly well.
Perhaps I, like many others, am missing the point then somewhere.
... See more
Ok, point taken Victoria.
However, I wasn't going for the latest thing, simply buying what should already be a tried and tested product. It's not as if it came out last week.
Since Trados macros run well in Word 2003 I really can't see any justification for expecting anyone to 'wait around' while a later version of the same product is 'adjusted' to run/accept macros that an earlier copy accepted perfectly well.
Perhaps I, like many others, am missing the point then somewhere..lol
If it were the case of Trados modifying their macros which then refuse to work in harmony with Word 2007, I could accept that and would allow them time to test and debug the same.
I have now made a donation to MS when most here in Brazil prefer to use pirate copies and can't even use the software it seems for 80% of what I intend to use it for, ie: in conjunction with Trados!

I confess I wasn't even aware of the .docx file format change - thanks for alerting to that too - so I suppose I'll now face outsourcers returning files for conversion....what another MS headache!
Then again, at the price we have to pay for Trados, surely they should've sorted this one out too by now - not that it appears to be anyone's 'bad' other than MS..yet again.
Ah well.... lol
Tks for the input.... Back to 2003 it is then.....
Collapse

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
TRADOS8.dotm instead of TRADOS8.dot Mar 11, 2008

Hi all
you must use TRADOS8.dotm instead of TRADOS8.dot
so the best procedure is to unisntall SDL Trados 2007 and reinstall it
(and after reinstall SP2)

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
SDL/Trados toolbar + menu has disappeared from Word 2007 May 10, 2008

After working properly initially, toolbar and menu have now disappeared leaving me once again after a Windows upgrade with expensive software that I cannot use.

When opening my macros in Word, Trados SDL is also no longer there, just the regular word macros.

I see from earlier conversations here that I may have to copy TRADOS8.dotm into Word startup folder. However, I did a search for TRADOS8.dotm and nothing showed up. Second of all, I haven't got a clue where the Wo
... See more
After working properly initially, toolbar and menu have now disappeared leaving me once again after a Windows upgrade with expensive software that I cannot use.

When opening my macros in Word, Trados SDL is also no longer there, just the regular word macros.

I see from earlier conversations here that I may have to copy TRADOS8.dotm into Word startup folder. However, I did a search for TRADOS8.dotm and nothing showed up. Second of all, I haven't got a clue where the Word startup folder might be. Could anyone please enlighten me?

TIA
Marijke
Collapse

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Knowledge Base on SDL site May 10, 2008

I am now wrestling my way through the instructions on:
http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2/index.aspx?c=&cpc=&cid=&cat=&catURL=&r=0.331312537193298

Wonder why the macros left town anyhow, such fun if you have work to do!

Will keep you informed when I finall get around to doing all this.

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Trados8.dotm May 10, 2008

However, I did a search for TRADOS8.dotm and nothing showed up. Second of all, I haven't got a clue where the Word startup folder might be. Could anyone please enlighten me?

Trados8.dotm should be located here:
C:\program files\sdl international\T2007\TT\Templates

Word2007 startup folder is here:

C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsof\Word\Startup\...

You may have to go to "Folder options", click on the "View" tab and select "Show hidden files and folders".

Hope this helps.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Toolbar in Office Pro 2007 Word?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »