https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/97247-tageditor_overlapping_text_and_crashing_w_indesign_and_quark.html

TagEditor - overlapping text and crashing w/ InDesign and Quark
Thread poster: Karel Tatransky
Karel Tatransky
Karel Tatransky  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 13:22
Member (2007)
German to Czech
+ ...
Feb 15, 2008

Hello again,
another problem with TagEditor: when translating a .ttx document originally created in InDesign, certain portions of the text overlap in TagEditor. When I'm trying to open these segments, TagEditor crashes (although not always, sometimes they can be opened; it's like a half/half chance). I also have had this problem with a QuarkXPress document, never with Word or Excel files.
Any idea what the problem can be?
Thanks in advance for any answer.
TagEditor versio
... See more
Hello again,
another problem with TagEditor: when translating a .ttx document originally created in InDesign, certain portions of the text overlap in TagEditor. When I'm trying to open these segments, TagEditor crashes (although not always, sometimes they can be opened; it's like a half/half chance). I also have had this problem with a QuarkXPress document, never with Word or Excel files.
Any idea what the problem can be?
Thanks in advance for any answer.
TagEditor version: 8.2.0.835
Windows XP Pro english.
A screenshot can be found here: www.tatransky.cz/misc/TE_problem.png

[Edited at 2008-02-16 12:20]

[Edited at 2008-02-16 12:20]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:22
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jerzy once reported the same problem Feb 16, 2008

It is probably a bug, seems tags are not rendered appropriately. Do you have support at SDL?
Regards
Heinrich

Karel Tatransky
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
German to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No SDL Support Feb 16, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

It is probably a bug, seems tags are not rendered appropriately. Do you have support at SDL?
Regards
Heinrich

Hello Heinrich,
unfortunately, I don't have SDL support.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
As I would see my screen :) Feb 16, 2008

The only way around this problem I was able to find up to date is to make the Tageditor window not as wide as the screen width. This means I simply move the right border of Tageditor away from the right screen border, making Tageditor approx. 80% as wide as the screen is.

A screen shot is below.

In this way Tageditor does not crash anymore.
... See more
The only way around this problem I was able to find up to date is to make the Tageditor window not as wide as the screen width. This means I simply move the right border of Tageditor away from the right screen border, making Tageditor approx. 80% as wide as the screen is.

A screen shot is below.

You have to reduce the width of Tageditor, until the text is not shown garbled anymore. From then TE will stop crashing. Support is aware of this problem.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Karel Tatransky
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
German to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Seems to be working Feb 17, 2008

Jerzy, thank you so much for your reply. Your solution seems to be working.
Funny, its simplicity reminds me of a fix for a non-working iPod hard drive I used few days ago: "Remove it from the device, shake it, put it back. It will work, guaranteed!". And it surprisingly did.
Best regards,
Karel

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

A screen shot is below.

You have to reduce the width of Tageditor, until the text is not shown garbled anymore. From then TE will stop crashing. Support is aware of this problem.

Regards
Jerzy

Jerzy Ozana
Jerzy Ozana  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
I really can't believe it's working... Nov 11, 2009

I confirm this solution works!

This bug has been haunting me for ages, exactly the same symptoms as reported by Karel: text overlapping and TE crashing when trying to open the overlapping segments.

After resizing the window there are no more crashes and the text looks fine.

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor - overlapping text and crashing w/ InDesign and Quark

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »