TagEditor does not open PPT file (Error 80003)
Thread poster: Daniel Hartmeier

Daniel Hartmeier  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:59
English to German
+ ...
Feb 18, 2008

Dear all,
I have a problem with PowerPoint files and TagEditor. The ppt files seams to be ok, I can open and save them.

Vista Home Premium (updated)
MS Office 2007 Professional SP1 (before, it also happened with Office XP)
SDL Trados Freelance 2007 SP2 (again downloaded and reinstalled from scratch, but no result)

Trying to open a PowerPoint file (.ppt), TagEditor shows the following two error messages and the file does not open:

First Message:
"Error when using plug in file filters
Error in plugin filter defintion file C\ProgrameData\SDLInternational\Filters\PowerPoint_2_0_0.xml.
The C++ Plug-in DLL Powerpoint PluginFilterRS does not export a valid factory function Create Display ppt Font Mapper. Would you like to open the file anyway?"

When I open the file, I only can see four strange characters in TagEditor and nothing more.
When I click Cancel I see the following error message:

Second Message.
"(80003 TagEditor is unable to open this document because the file type is not recognised)"

This concerns all ppt files, I tried to open in TagEditor (from different sources). A colleague was able to open the ppt file, I need to work with in TagEditor 7 (I do not know her configuration). I am able to open the ttx file from the ppt she opened, however, I will not be able to save the target file (the same error as above will appear).

I uninstalled SDL Trados (the entire package), and deleted the SDL International folders and the xml files from my hard disk. I downloaded again SDL Trados Freelance 2007 SP2 (complete installation). But this did not help.

Before, I had Office XP and some "remainings" from an old Office 2007 installation, then I uninstalled Office XP and installed Office 2007 and Service Pack 1 for Office. But this did not help neither.

In SDL Trados Filter Settings, I restaured the filters to default settings. I now only have Offices 2007 installed, however, in the Filter Settings dialog the Office XP programs are still visible.

Anybody experienced the same problem or something similar?
Thank you for your help.
Daniel

Direct link Reply with quote

Oscar Martin
Spain
Local time: 20:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Solution to Error 80003 Feb 18, 2008

Hi,

I've found this link (http://www.sdl.com/en/services/support/view.asp?cntID=1365) in the knowledgebase section at sdl.com that may help you.

Oscar

Argentina
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No result Feb 18, 2008

Hi Oscar,
thank you for your help and this link.
I followed the steps but without any result.

As I use Vista and SDL Trados 2007, the key and the folder path are not the same as in the explanation, because it refers to an older Trados version:

The key points to C:\ProgramData\SDL International\Filters\PluginFileFilterDefinitions.xml, where the file "PluginFileFilterDefinitions.xml" actually is.
However, I receive exactly the same messages as mentionned in my first posting.

Daniel

[Edited at 2008-02-18 15:37]

Oscar Martin
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TagEditor does not open PPT file (Error 80003 Feb 18, 2008

Have you tried running the .reg file as Administrator?

Argentina
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where is the official SDL support for version 2007 Feb 18, 2008

Hola Oscar,
Thank you again. My user account is the only one and in "Cuentas de Usarios" in the control panel, it is the Administrator.

Some months ago I had another problem with SDL Trados and I was able to post this on the SDL site. Some days later, I have received an e-mail with a solution. Now I can not find this page on the SDL site anymore and the Knowledge base does not support the Trados 2007 (only up to version 7). I already have sent them over the site a mail requesting a quote for a support subscription, but until now, I have not received any answer.

Where is the official SDL support? This is a forum, where users are trying to help users, isn't it?
Daniel

[Edited at 2008-02-18 20:03]

Oscar Martin
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
SDL Support Feb 19, 2008

The SDL Support site is http://support.sdl.com.

Argentina
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem resolved with SDL Trados Support Contract Feb 25, 2008

Hi and thank you for your suggestions.
The problem is resolved now. It is supposed that the problem came from a conflict between remaining files from MSOffice XP (uninstalled) and the installed MS Office 2007. However, this is still a supposition.

The solution came from the SDL Trados support. During a remote support session the technician changed some lines in a SDL Trados filter file on my computer.

With such help, a support contract pays itself in short time. The service was excellent (I am not Trados staff!)
Greetings
Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor does not open PPT file (Error 80003)

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums