Problem with the clean up of file (.xls.ttx)
Thread poster: Sumana U
Sumana U
Sumana U
German to English
+ ...
Feb 20, 2008

Hi,

I am using Trados Version 8.0. Excel 2003.

I translated one Excel file using Translator's Workbench and TagEditor. I am not able to convert the bilingual file (.xls.ttx) back to Excel format. I am getting the message as shown below:

(-2147467259): Connection with server application error:
While renaming a sheet or chart, you entered an invalid name. Try one of the following:

• Make sure the name you entered does not exceed 3
... See more
Hi,

I am using Trados Version 8.0. Excel 2003.

I translated one Excel file using Translator's Workbench and TagEditor. I am not able to convert the bilingual file (.xls.ttx) back to Excel format. I am getting the message as shown below:

While renaming a sheet or chart, you entered an invalid name. Try one of the following:

• Make sure the name you entered does not exceed 31 characters.
• Make sure the name does not contain any of the following characters: : \ / ? * [ or ]
• Make sure you did not leave the name blank.
File skipped!

I entered a short file name, again translated it and tried to clean the file up.
The file name does not contain any of the following characters: : \ / ? * [ or ]
I did not leave any name blank.
The source (.xls) and the bilingual (xls.ttx) files are in the same folder with the same file name.
I have also selected the corresponding language pair termbase in Translator's Workbench.

I don't know how to clean the file up.
Please let me know if anyone knows the solution for this type of problem.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:53
English to German
+ ...
Sheet name, not file name Feb 20, 2008

Hi,

This does not refer to the file name - check your translation of sheet or chart descriptions. (Usually, this problem is caused by sheet names containing special characters - strictly speaking, not a Trados-related issue: AFAIK it's Excel that cannot handle these characters in sheet names.)

HTH, Ralf

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 05:53
English to Swedish
+ ...
Tabs in Excel Feb 21, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi,

This does not refer to the file name - check your translation of sheet or chart descriptions. (Usually, this problem is caused by sheet names containing special characters - strictly speaking, not a Trados-related issue: AFAIK it's Excel that cannot handle these characters in sheet names.)

HTH, Ralf

Ralf is absolutely right. It's usually the tiny tabs in the bottom left corner of Excel that support very limited characters.
Try leaving those segments blank in TagEditor, or replace the content by QQQ, and you'll be able to edit them later if no other solution works.

/Jan

[Edited at 2008-02-21 13:53]

Michel Mullejans
Michel Mullejans  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:53
English to French
Thank you so much Ralf for this Excel pointer Aug 5, 2013

Thank you for helping us out. Much appreciated, Dear colleague!
Michel (Stayton, OR)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with the clean up of file (.xls.ttx)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »