Translator's Workbench Problem
Thread poster: Martina Amstutz
Martina Amstutz
Martina Amstutz  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:42
English to German
+ ...
Feb 22, 2008

I have an annoying problem with Trados. I just bought the software and installed it, but whenever I try to create a translation memory, there's a message saying "TW4win.exe hat ein Problem festgestellt und muss beendet werden". Then, there's another message: "Remoteprozedurablauf ist fehlgeschlagen. (Exception from HResult: 0-80076BE).

I have already returned the licence key and installed the software again about 3 times, but the problem persists. Does someone know what I can do? Th
... See more
I have an annoying problem with Trados. I just bought the software and installed it, but whenever I try to create a translation memory, there's a message saying "TW4win.exe hat ein Problem festgestellt und muss beendet werden". Then, there's another message: "Remoteprozedurablauf ist fehlgeschlagen. (Exception from HResult: 0-80076BE).

I have already returned the licence key and installed the software again about 3 times, but the problem persists. Does someone know what I can do? The Trados Support is not very helpful...

Thanks.
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Can you give some more information? Feb 22, 2008

Like, are you using Trados with Multiterm?
Trados 2007 with or without SP's?
What languages?
What method do you use to create the TM?

It might also help to translate the error messages into English, you'll have a larger pool of helpful colleagues.

Don't give up!

Martina Amstutz
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Workbench problem Feb 22, 2008

Yes, I'm using Trados with Multiterm
Question: what is SPs?
Languages: German, English, French
To create a TM, I open Translator's Workbench, then go to "Create", then I can save the file but then the error message appears.

The error message is as follows: TW4win.exe has encountered a problem and needs to shut down.

It looks to me as if something has not been installed properly, but as I have already deinstalled and reinstalled the software more than
... See more
Yes, I'm using Trados with Multiterm
Question: what is SPs?
Languages: German, English, French
To create a TM, I open Translator's Workbench, then go to "Create", then I can save the file but then the error message appears.

The error message is as follows: TW4win.exe has encountered a problem and needs to shut down.

It looks to me as if something has not been installed properly, but as I have already deinstalled and reinstalled the software more than twice, I just don't know what I can do.
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
SP = Service Pack Feb 22, 2008

They're update packages for the programme, so to speak.

This is what the Help-file says:
To create a new (file-based) translation memory:

From the File menu, choose New. The Create Translation Memory dialog box is displayed.

In the Source/Target Language lists, select the source and target languages of the new translation memory.

Select the System Fields you wish to assign to each translation unit in the new trans
... See more
They're update packages for the programme, so to speak.

This is what the Help-file says:
To create a new (file-based) translation memory:

From the File menu, choose New. The Create Translation Memory dialog box is displayed.

In the Source/Target Language lists, select the source and target languages of the new translation memory.

Select the System Fields you wish to assign to each translation unit in the new translation memory.

Under Multiple Translations, select Allow multiple translations for identical source segments if you wish the new translation memory to support this feature. By default, this option is not selected.

Enter translation memory properties in the Name, Copyright Notice and Description boxes.

Click Create to confirm the settings. A standard Windows file dialog box with the same name – Create Translation Memory — is displayed.

Browse to the folder in which you wish to store the translation memory. Assign a file name to the translation memory and click Save. Translator's Workbench automatically adds the *.tmw extension and creates the new translation memory with its associated neural network files. The associated neural network files are saved with the extensions *.mdf, *.mtf, *.mwf, and *.iix.

Note: This procedure applies to the creation of file-based translation memories only. You cannot create server-based translation memories in Translator’s Workbench. Creation of server-based translation memories is carried out in SDL Trados Server Manager, the administration client for TM Server-based systems such as SDL Trados TM Server.

I suppose the problem occurs in the last step?

Some users seem to have had this kind of trouble because somehow their anti-virus software and/or firewall caused problems. Do you have any active programs like that?

Others had trouble activating their licences. Have you managed to enter your licence key?

If you think anti-virus or licence key problems could be causing you trouble, please search the forums for tw4win - you'll find you are definitely not alone.

I personally had a lot of trouble with Multiterm; you could shut down Multiterm and try again; see what happens...

Good luck!
Collapse

Martina Amstutz
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Workbench problem Feb 22, 2008

Yes, the problem occurs in the last step. I have actually activated my licence, so perhaps there really is a problem with the antivirus software.

I'm going to search for problems related to TW4win, thanks for the hint.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator's Workbench Problem

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »