Mobile menu

SDLX vs. PowerPoint page numbers
Thread poster: Jonathan von Zelowitz

Jonathan von Zelowitz  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:26
French to English
Feb 22, 2008

Translating customer documents sometimes requires us to deal with special formats, such as Microsoft PowerPoint. Unfortunately, I am not a PowerPoint jockey. Until recently, I was bothered by a problem translating files in SDLX. When there were page numbers defined in the master for the slides, they would appear in SDLX as ‹N°›, but I could not figure out how to make them come out automatically in the translated document.

Well, I still don’t know how to do that, but I do know how to get around the problem!

This applies to PowerPoint 2003/SDLX 2006.

In PowerPoint, open the translated document (output from SDLX) and go to a page with a page number (showing as ‹N°›).

On the View menu, point to Master, and then click Slide Master.

There will be a text box for the page number, containing the ‹N°› string.

Select the ‹N°› string.

On the Insert menu, click Slide Number.

The ‹N°› string will be replaced with (a different) ‹N°› string, but this time it will work.

Click Close Master View on the Slide Master View toolbar.

Now page through the document to see that the page numbers are working.

Good luck!

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX vs. PowerPoint page numbers

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs