SDLX vs. PowerPoint page numbers
Thread poster: Jonathan von Zelowitz
Jonathan von Zelowitz
Jonathan von Zelowitz  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:44
French to English
Feb 22, 2008

Translating customer documents sometimes requires us to deal with special formats, such as Microsoft PowerPoint. Unfortunately, I am not a PowerPoint jockey. Until recently, I was bothered by a problem translating files in SDLX. When there were page numbers defined in the master for the slides, they would appear in SDLX as ‹N°›, but I could not figure out how to make them come out automatically in the translated document.

Well, I still don’t know how to do that, but I do know
... See more
Translating customer documents sometimes requires us to deal with special formats, such as Microsoft PowerPoint. Unfortunately, I am not a PowerPoint jockey. Until recently, I was bothered by a problem translating files in SDLX. When there were page numbers defined in the master for the slides, they would appear in SDLX as ‹N°›, but I could not figure out how to make them come out automatically in the translated document.

Well, I still don’t know how to do that, but I do know how to get around the problem!

This applies to PowerPoint 2003/SDLX 2006.

In PowerPoint, open the translated document (output from SDLX) and go to a page with a page number (showing as ‹N°›).

On the View menu, point to Master, and then click Slide Master.

There will be a text box for the page number, containing the ‹N°› string.

Select the ‹N°› string.

On the Insert menu, click Slide Number.

The ‹N°› string will be replaced with (a different) ‹N°› string, but this time it will work.

Click Close Master View on the Slide Master View toolbar.

Now page through the document to see that the page numbers are working.

Good luck!
Jon
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX vs. PowerPoint page numbers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »