Problem with display of Russian source text
Thread poster: Callmeaspade

Callmeaspade  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 23, 2008

Hi everyone

There is a problem I can't figure out myself.

I am using Trados Freelance 7 with MS Word 2003 to translate a Russian text into English. A problem is that Russian text does not appear in 'Source' window of the Workbench - some weird characters are displayed instead. No wonder terms are also not recognized.

Changing Workbench default source font doesn't seem to help.

Any ideas why that could happen?

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2008-02-23 22:37]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-02-24 08:07]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:59
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are you working with a translation memory with right language pair? Feb 24, 2008

Is Russian defined as a source language? If yes, than you have a problem and I don't know the solution for that, sorry.
But if you did not specify Russian as source language, than no wonder...

Regards
Jerzy


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Bilore  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:59
English to French
+ ...
Same thing happened to me... Feb 24, 2008

I had the same problem recently working on a book to translate from Russian into French.

The TM settings were correct. I received a first copy of the book and the characters couldn't be displayed correctly unless I used Tag Editor. So TE can be a solution but many useless tags will appear.

Then I received the same text that had been slightly modified by the woman in charge of the layout. And strangely this version was ok...

I cannot understand what the differences between the two documents are...the fonts are the same ...but I suppose some options (character coding or whatever) are different.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Callmeaspade  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:59
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looks like I've got the trick myself Feb 24, 2008

Thanks, Jerzy, but this is not the case - I've specified Russian as source language and flags appear in the status string as they should.

However I've managed to figure it out myself. It seems Trados has problems with some Russian fonts. In my case the document's font was Arial, and Arial didn't appear in Workbench source default font picklist (I wonder why). Changing the whole document to Tahoma or some other font that is in the Workbench's list solves the problem.

Amazingly, the Workbench is comfortable with Arial as target font.





[Edited at 2008-02-24 10:42]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with display of Russian source text

Advanced search







Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs