Thread poster: Callmeaspade

Callmeaspade  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:36
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 23, 2008

Hi everyone

There is a problem I can't figure out myself.

I am using Trados Freelance 7 with MS Word 2003 to translate a Russian text into English. A problem is that Russian text does not appear in 'Source' window of the Workbench - some weird characters are displayed instead. No wonder terms are also not recognized.

Changing Workbench default source font doesn't seem to help.

Any ideas why that could happen?

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2008-02-23 22:37]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-02-24 08:07]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:36
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are you working with a translation memory with right language pair? Feb 24, 2008

Is Russian defined as a source language? If yes, than you have a problem and I don't know the solution for that, sorry.
But if you did not specify Russian as source language, than no wonder...

Bilore  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:36
English to French
+ ...
Same thing happened to me... Feb 24, 2008

I had the same problem recently working on a book to translate from Russian into French.

The TM settings were correct. I received a first copy of the book and the characters couldn't be displayed correctly unless I used Tag Editor. So TE can be a solution but many useless tags will appear.

Then I received the same text that had been slightly modified by the woman in charge of the layout. And strangely this version was ok...

I cannot understand what the differences between the two documents are...the fonts are the same ...but I suppose some options (character coding or whatever) are different.

Callmeaspade  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:36
English to Russian
+ ...
Looks like I've got the trick myself Feb 24, 2008

Thanks, Jerzy, but this is not the case - I've specified Russian as source language and flags appear in the status string as they should.

However I've managed to figure it out myself. It seems Trados has problems with some Russian fonts. In my case the document's font was Arial, and Arial didn't appear in Workbench source default font picklist (I wonder why). Changing the whole document to Tahoma or some other font that is in the Workbench's list solves the problem.

Amazingly, the Workbench is comfortable with Arial as target font.

[Edited at 2008-02-24 10:42]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with display of Russian source text

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs