Mobile menu

Do you give discounts for matches in your own TM?
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:39
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Feb 26, 2008

I am not talking about matches if a client sends you a TM export file created by someone else. Do you give discounts, for example, if you translated for the same agency and their same end client previously, and your TM shows you that there are a lot of 100% matches or 98% matches in the new document? If so, what size discounts do you give in that case, and what is your reasoning?

Astrid

Direct link Reply with quote

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
No Feb 26, 2008

No, I don't.

But then, most agencies are smart enough to know this and provide an updated TM from their own archives.

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 04:39
English to Indonesian
+ ...
not necessarily Feb 26, 2008

Margreet Logmans wrote:

No, I don't.

But then, most agencies are smart enough to know this and provide an updated TM from their own archives.

this is not always the case. sometimes they just analyze the word count then expect a discount without providing any tm. also for this reason, i don't automatically give discount on matches if not asked.

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:39
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Not at all Feb 26, 2008

If it's my TM, not a chance. I'm the one that created it and kept it updated, why should I apply a discount?

Edit:
sometimes they just analyze the word count then expect a discount without providing any tm.

Mulyadi, I think you're a bit confused. Sometimes agencies request a discount based on internal repetitions. But repetitions and 100% Matches are different things.

[Edited at 2008-02-26 18:27]

Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:39
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
No Feb 26, 2008

I invested in the software in order to improve my productivity. The TM is mine, I paid hard money for Trados - isn't it natural to expect return on investment?

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
In theory, I won't; in fact I often do Feb 26, 2008

In theory, I agree it is not business-wise to offer discount against a TM you created and maintain. Some will say that giving discounts altogether is an utter lack of business sense.

However, many criteria may lead me to give a discount to an agency :

- The client doesn't ask me for a discount and asks me if I can handle the deadline.
- The TM generated is a clean one, not context-sensitive one-word useless segments
- The second document, of similar nature, is received within say a week/month from the previous one so that it still rings a bell
- The long-standing client is as reliable as clockwork (or whatever else but Volvo brakes)

As I see it, this minimal "TM management" chore is the value-added service that keeps everybody happy in the long run. Compared to 100% matches from agency TMs, matches from my own TM are also much more reliable and leverageable (sorry), so I spend no time on them. My working hour is therefore paid more and I get my return on investment. OK, I could earn even more, but not enough to retire at 40 (in 7 months) anyway.

I specifically follow this reasoning with an agency who sends me monthly newsletters for translation. I "own" the TM, but I let them benefit from the, what, 5-10°% leverage each month.

It very much depends on the kind of relation you maintain with your agency customers. And the style of business you're in.

Good night,
Philippe

Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
French to English
probably not, but depends on the client Feb 26, 2008

I might give a discout to an end-user client if the memory was generated by earlier work I did for them, so I could be sure it was context-appropriate and did not need fixing up, and if they were good long-term clients. Agencies generally are not shy about asking for discounts both for internal repetitions and TM that they generate, I don't see the need for offering them even more. Although, as I think about my answer, I realize that some end-user clients are confused about the difference between machine translation and CAT, so maybe I would not even mention it to them if I thought it would cause problems. I have one major client so paranoid about machine translation that they will only give me very messy hard copy. Yet another point paranoia-wise, is if the memory was generated by work from a source other than the current client, it might not be wise to let them know you have handled very similar material for someone else in case they ask inappropriate questions or worry that you might answer inappropriate questions for another client who might be a competitor of theirs - this applies mostly to end-users. I hope that all makes sense, in any case, most of the time "no" is the short answer.

Chantal Kamgne  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
English to French
Agree Feb 27, 2008

Philippe Etienne wrote:

As I see it, this minimal "TM management" chore is the value-added service that keeps everybody happy in the long run. Compared to 100% matches from agency TMs, matches from my own TM are also much more reliable and leverageable (sorry), so I spend no time on them. My working hour is therefore paid more and I get my return on investment. OK, I could earn even more, but not enough to retire at 40 (in 7 months) anyway.

I specifically follow this reasoning with an agency who sends me monthly newsletters for translation. I "own" the TM, but I let them benefit from the, what, 5-10°% leverage each month.

It very much depends on the kind of relation you maintain with your agency customers. And the style of business you're in.

I fully agree.

Chantal Kamgne  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
English to French
Agree Feb 27, 2008

Philippe Etienne wrote:

I fully agree. In fact, I normally give a discount for files coming from the same project, same client.

Chantal

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I'm not a Trados user, but... Feb 27, 2008

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:
I am not talking about matches if a client sends you a TM export file created by someone else. Do you give discounts, for example, if you translated for the same agency and their same end client previously, and your TM shows you that there are a lot of 100% matches or 98% matches in the new document?

No. If the client does not provide a TM with matches, then I give no discounts. And if the client does give a TM, and I have my own TM as well, then I think I might give discounts because the client did show some effort, even though I might trust my own TM more

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you give discounts for matches in your own TM?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs