Mobile menu

Translator's workbench freelance will now close.
Thread poster: Pro-Trans

Pro-Trans
France
Local time: 02:36
English to French
+ ...
Feb 28, 2008

Hello,

I have encountered a problem with Trados for a few days and it is getting worse and worse.
After some time spending translatin in Word or TagEditor, the workbench displays the following error message:

"Only one running instance of Translator's Workbench Freelance is allowed per local area network. Translator's Workbench Freelance will now close."

I don't have any local area network... I really wonder why I get this message and how to solve it.
I have tried to register the license again many times but it hasn't changed anything.
Since last night, this problem happens every 5 minutes. I just can't work this way.

Has anyone had the same error message and know how to solve it? Thank you very much for your help!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Josée Desbiens
Canada
Local time: 20:36
English to French
Open on both computers... Feb 28, 2008

I got that message when Trados was open on my laptop and my PC at the same time.

It may be the problem. Otherwise, I don't understand and can not help you. Sorry!

Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Don't you have a DSL connection? Feb 28, 2008

Hi,

if you use a DSL connection, whatever the provider, then you have a local area network. Now if you don't have a colleague using the same connection as you, than it might mean that someone in the neighbourhood is using your Internet connection in Wi-Fi mode. You have to block external accesses to your Internet box, so no unauthorized user can use it. if you don't know how to do it, contact your provider and they will explain how to proceed.
Hope it helps!

Annelise

Francisco Mar Rubio  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to Spanish
+ ...
wireless Feb 28, 2008

I had the same problem and it took me months to solve it. I was working in a public library (wifi) and there was another translator with Trados...

Pro-Trans
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wireless connection Feb 28, 2008

Thanks for your answers!

How did you solve the problem at the library, Francisco ?

It is the same kind of problem here because we are two translators working at home on the same Intenet connection (but with 2 different Trados licenses). My partner doesn't have any problem with Trados.

The strange thing is that we have been using this internet connection from this provider for one year and the problem has only appeared for two days...
Another weird thing is that when I shut every computer down except mine, I still get the error message whereas there is only one computer working on the network...

Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
change your workgroup name Feb 28, 2008

Hi again,

this problem was discussed in former threads (http://www.proz.com/topic/63326): one of the users wharing the network has to change the Windows workgroup name. I did it once and was able to work with a friend of mine who was staying at my place.
This feature is there to prevent agencies from buying several cheaper freelancer versions of Trados instead of buying the complete, much more expensive one.
Obviously, this can be bothersome if you want to try and work outside of your usual environment...
I hope this solves your problem..!

Annelise

Pro-Trans
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it works, thanks! Feb 28, 2008

I changed my workgroup name and it works now.
Thank you so much, Annelise!

Serena Trotta  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
And how do I change the workgroup name? Mar 20, 2008

I have the same problem. A colleauge working with me.

I went on "network resources" and on workgroup, but I could not manage to change it.

Can anyone explain how to do it?

ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 03:36
English to Arabic
+ ...
The same here... Jun 1, 2008

Hi,

The same problem here except that I have 2 SDL Trados 2007 licenses running on local network (which is supposed to be legal).

Any solution without changing Workgroup name?

Thank you

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes Jun 4, 2008

Any solution without changing Workgroup name?

Yes, buying SDL Trados Professional. This will enable running multiple Trados instances within one network.

ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
English to Arabic
+ ...
This completely ignores the interest of buyer! Jun 5, 2008

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Yes, buying SDL Trados Professional. This will enable running multiple Trados instances within one network.

For sure this will work but this solution made me feel as follows:

I went to a car agency and purchased 2 cars. When trying to have a tour with a friend using both cars at the same time in the same area (small LAN) one car stopped moving. I go to the agency complaining that one car has stopped suddenly without logical reason (since I purchased 2 cars that are supposed to run any time, anywhere and the seller never declared, hinted...etc to me that only one car will run if you intend to run both in the same area) and I get a response from an official from the car agency: "Dear customer, the solution of your case is to buy another 2 cars from the model that supports having a tour at the same area with a friend, or upgrade to that model".

No need to tell that the price of such upgrade is over the current car price multiplied by 4!!!

I do not want an upgrade. I do not want to purchase that professional car. I am satisfied with mine except for such irritating and unfair restriction (LAN issue).

Another issue, should not the car agency or any representative declare such restriction to buyers during purchase process! or it will be better to keep buyers blind so the profit margin gets higher!

In other words! where is the transparency between seller and buyer! or I have just requested a value that does not belong to our world. Just a question!

Koral Özgül  Identity Verified
Turkey
English to Turkish
+ ...
Bravo! Mar 14, 2009

I can't agree more! But expecting any real ethic from capitalism would be in vain, IMO; it's just money!

[Edited at 2009-03-14 21:37 GMT]

Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Many thanks to the reply posted by Annelise Meyer Jan 18, 2012

Many thanks to the reply posted by Annelise Meyer. That helped us a lot today.

Kind regards,
Mónica

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator's workbench freelance will now close.

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs