Thread poster: George ABRAHAM
George ABRAHAM
George ABRAHAM  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 17:37
French to English
+ ...
Feb 28, 2008

How do I sanitize the translation memory? I have garbage characters in the source text that appear when I do a concordance search with TWorkbench (ex: être prévus - which is in French). I want to convert those garbage characters to French ones (wovels with accents, etc.).
Thanks in advance.

Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:37
English to Swedish
+ ...
Use Maintenance function Feb 28, 2008

killian_ro wrote:

I want to convert those garbage characters to French ones (wovels with accents, etc.).
Thanks in advance.

Make a copy of your TM to safeguard youself thenopen the maintenance function under File. Use the Search and Replace function to insert the garbage characters and iin the replace box write what they should be instead.

You may have to search in the concordance and copy the garbage to a Word document first, which you can then copy from into the Search and Replace boxes in Trados Maintenance section.

The best way though is to use a program like Olifant, to clean your TM in. It gets rid of duplicate segments for example and can shrink your TM to its actual size. It also has much better Search and Replace settings. I recommend it, but again obviously save a copy of your TM.

Good luck!

Anette

George ABRAHAM
George ABRAHAM  Identity Verified
Romania
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Feb 28, 2008

Thanks for the answer. Nobody else dared answer this question.
Regarding your solution, Oliphant is old (from 2005), and I don't know if it is reliable with Trados 7.5. I used Find and Replace in Workbench; it works, but it is slow (the tm is large, though).

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
try saving your TM in Unicode Feb 29, 2008

this way you will preserve all French characters

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

sanitize TM

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »