add placeable
Thread poster: George ABRAHAM
George ABRAHAM  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 21:28
French to English
+ ...
Feb 29, 2008

I wonder if there is any way of adding custom placeables in Trados (shortcut keys, etc.). If there are any rules for adding placeables, please specify.
For example, I would like to add (5.1.3.). as a placeable. Trados does not recognize it, and I have to type it by hand.
Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:28
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Autotext Feb 29, 2008

I'm not sure about placeables, but maybe you could also use Autotext...

[Edited at 2008-02-29 20:19]

Romania
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know, but Feb 29, 2008

ReneevB wrote:

I'm not sure about placeables, but maybe you could also use Autotext...

[Edited at 2008-02-29 20:19]

I know, but I'm interested in adding custom placeables, that change according to a pattern (like 25 km, 28 km), not static text. I won't make a list with chapter headings like 1.1.1, 1.1.2 using autotext entries, right?

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:28
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Auto-numbering ? Mar 1, 2008

If I have understood you correctly, I don't think you can add custom placeables to Trados unless they are present in your source text.

Do you simply want to number your headings sequentially automatically like 1.1.1, 1.1.2 ?

That can be done in Word using the Numbering option, and will work in Trados provided there is a tab character between the numbers and the text of the heading.

Romania
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Custom placeables Mar 1, 2008

Peter Linton wrote:

If I have understood you correctly, I don't think you can add custom placeables to Trados unless they are present in your source text.

Do you simply want to number your headings sequentially automatically like 1.1.1, 1.1.2 ?

That can be done in Word using the Numbering option, and will work in Trados provided there is a tab character between the numbers and the text of the heading.

No, I just want Trados to recognize other text, like 1.1.1. as placeable and insert it in translated documents. I guess creating new rules for Trados to recognize other types of text as placeables is impossible.

Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
+ ...
You can if you use the variable list Mar 3, 2008

killian_ro wrote:

No, I just want Trados to recognize other text, like 1.1.1. as placeable and insert it in translated documents. I guess creating new rules for Trados to recognize other types of text as placeables is impossible.

I have not used this function for a while, but I did in version 5.5 , it was possible to add words to the variable list that I wanted in there, usually a load of abbreviations of organisations.

I just tried it in my SDL Trados 7.1 version and it worked fine, but not I think if 1.1.1 is in the start of the sentence, but that does not matter as it will not be seen as translatable text but treated as a number, I expect.

You got to File_Setup_Substitutions and tick the box Variables to be able to fill in placeables in the variable list.

HIH

Anette

Romania
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HOW Mar 4, 2008

Anette Herbert wrote:

You got to File_Setup_Substitutions and tick the box Variables to be able to fill in placeables in the variable list.

HIH

Anette

How do I access the Substitutions/Variables option? Where should I look? In Workbench or in Tageditor?
thx.

Conor Murphy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
German to English
Handing serial numbers in XXX.XXXXX.XXXXX as placeables? Aug 6, 2008

Hi,

I am translating a (very large - 20,000 lines) Excel catalogue file with product name and serial number (unfortunately) located within the same cell.

I would like Workbench to treat these unique product numbers (which appear at the start of the text) as placeables. They take the form XXX.XXXX.XXXXX and each of these 3 parts may re-occur individually many times throughout the document.

For the suggested translation, Workbench inserts the product number that it associates with the associated short product desciption (as said before, contained in same cell).

How can I get Workbench to treat numbers in this format as placeables?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

add placeable

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs