Gabriella Fisichella
Gabriella Fisichella  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:57
German to Italian
+ ...
Mar 3, 2008

Hello everybody,

can anyone help with this problem? I am trying to analyse files with SDLX to get a word count against the TM, but the Analysis process is interrupted. I cannot understand the reason.

Thanks
Gabriella

Gabriella Fisichella
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Function not working in the Freelance version of SDLX Mar 3, 2008

Hello again,

I've found out this function doesn't work in the Freelance version. Can anyone tell me how to get a word count in SDLX? Is there any other way to do this?

Many thanks in advance
Gabriella

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:57
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
View - Statistics Mar 4, 2008

Hi Gabriella,

If all you want is a word count, try the Statistics option under the View menu. It doesn't give you a breakdown of repetitions, but it provides info about translated and untranslated text.

Nora

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
why analyse... Mar 4, 2008

charge target word may be 2 cents more because you cannot assess prior hand. Brandis

Gabriella Fisichella
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I need an exact breakdown of fuzzy matches and reps Mar 4, 2008

Hello Nora,

thank you, but I already know the Statistics option and it doesn't help me. As I apply discounts to fuzzy matches, I need to know exactly how many are contained in the text and the relevant match percentage.

I've always charged per source word for this client. I cannot change suddenly now, as I am not able to get a word count.

Cheers,
Gabriella

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Can't your client provide a proper analyse? Mar 4, 2008

Hi Gabriella,

doesn't your client take care of the analysis of the files? In general, if they want to issue a proper PO, taking into account all fuzzies and repetitions, it is up to them to perform this part of the work!
What do you have, only ITDs? If you've got the source files, you can analyse them with Trados. Of course if you've got an SDLX TM, you will first have to convert it into Trados, but the process is quite easy. Let me know if you need some more advice on that.<
... See more
Hi Gabriella,

doesn't your client take care of the analysis of the files? In general, if they want to issue a proper PO, taking into account all fuzzies and repetitions, it is up to them to perform this part of the work!
What do you have, only ITDs? If you've got the source files, you can analyse them with Trados. Of course if you've got an SDLX TM, you will first have to convert it into Trados, but the process is quite easy. Let me know if you need some more advice on that.

Cheers,

Annelise
Collapse

Gabriella Fisichella
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I would be grateful if you could help me Mar 4, 2008

Annelise Meyer wrote:

Hi Gabriella,

You're right. No (public) comment.

I've found a utility within SDLX that generates a .csv file with the relevant word count for a file or group of files, but it is quite difficult to interpret. I would be grateful if you could tell me how to analyse ITD files with Trados. I tried yesterday, but without success.

Thanks
Gabriella

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Use trados Mar 4, 2008

SDLX and Trados are one package, so why don't you use Trados to analyse the text?
That is what I always do if the client does not provide the analysis, which does not happen very often.
I usually ask for an analysis, otherwise I might get into problems about the wordcount afterwards.
If you only get the itds, your client is certainly the one to provide the analysis!

Gabriella Fisichella
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll have to find out how it works Mar 4, 2008

anjoboira wrote:

SDLX and Trados are one package, so why don't you use Trados to analyse the text?

Hello Anjoboira,

I've tried as I said before, but I didn't succeed. I'll have to find out how it works.

Thanks
Gabriella

Annelise Meyer
France
English to French
+ ...
not feasible Mar 4, 2008

Gabriella Fisichella wrote:

I would be grateful if you could tell me how to analyse ITD files with Trados. I tried yesterday, but without success.

Thanks
Gabriella

Hi Gabriella,

you cannot directly analyse ITD files with Trados. Don't you have the source files? If you don't have them, you can copy-paste the text of the ITDs in a Word file and then proceed with the analysis in Translator's Workbench. But again, this the client should do (or at least send you the source files)...!
I think there was a tool that allowed you to export the contents of an itd file into Excel, but I don't remember the name. Maybe someone on the forum will?

Annelise

Gabriella Fisichella
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem sorted out with ITD files. Word count for InDesign files in Trados Mar 4, 2008

Annelise Meyer wrote:

Gabriella Fisichella wrote:

I would be grateful if you could tell me how to analyse ITD files with Trados. I tried yesterday, but without success.

Thanks
Gabriella

Hi Gabriella,

you cannot directly analyse ITD files with Trados. Don't you have the source files? If you don't have them, you can copy-paste the text of the ITDs in a Word file and then proceed with the analysis in Translator's Workbench. But again, this the client should do (or at least send you the source files)...!
I think there was a tool that allowed you to export the contents of an itd file into Excel, but I don't remember the name. Maybe someone on the forum will?

Annelise

Hello Annelise,

the client has sent me a word count for the ITD files. Can you please tell me how to get a word count for InDesign files in Trados?

Thank you very much
Gabriella

[Edited at 2008-03-04 16:45]

Annelise Meyer
France
English to French
+ ...
Basic analyse process Mar 4, 2008

Hi Gabriella,

provided you have *.inx or InDesign export text tagged files (*.txt) , you can use the Tools/Analyse feature in Translator's workbench to analyse them. Simply select the files and launch the analysis.

Annelise

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Professional version Mar 4, 2008

Hi Gabriella,
the word count feature only works in the "Professional" version, not in the "Lite" or "Standard" versions. You will probably have to ask a LSP to provide you with a word count.
Alternatively, you can use some third-party tools, such as AnyCount to get at least an analysis on the word count and repetitions.

Gabriella Fisichella
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much, Annelise Mar 5, 2008

I've converted the INDD files into .inx format and analysed them with Trados.

Cheers
Gabriella

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX 2007: cannot analyse files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »