Mobile menu

Which Trados version should I buy?
Thread poster: Elisa Noetinger

Elisa Noetinger  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Mar 5, 2008

Hello all!
I am about to buy Trados. My question is, which version? The options I have are:
Trados 5, Trados V5.5, Trados 6.0 and Trados Multiterm IX.
I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows Vista and Office 2003.
Many thanks !
Elisa

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-03-05 14:42]

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:05
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
SDL Trados 2007 Mar 5, 2008

includes SDLX and Multiterm. Those version 5.5 and 6 are hopelessly outdated, from 5 years ago.
Regards
Heinrich

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Should you at all? Mar 5, 2008

Just for the record: You do know there are other products around that do the same job, be it with a slightly different approach? And you do know that with many of these products you can serve clients demanding delivery in Trados Uncleaned or TagEditor format? Maybe consider testdriving some of them before you make a final decision.

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 15:05
English to Indonesian
+ ...
sdl trados 2007 Mar 5, 2008

if you have the resources, you should aim for the most current one.

Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 00:05
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Before you even consider getting Trados 2007... Mar 6, 2008

Search the forums a bit; it doesn't seem to be that good of an idea. I can't say I've tried it personally, but the majority of people who have commented on it seem to think that it's either slow or buggy (or both) and that the release of the program was rushed.

I know you only mentioned versions 5 - 6, but just in case it helps: I personally have Trados 7.0 running on my laptop (Windows Vista and Office XP) and it works just fine, so maybe that's another option you could consider.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 09:05
English to Czech
+ ...
2007 the only choice Mar 6, 2008

Trados 2007 is the only choice because it is the only version officially supported to run under Vista by SDL International (although older Trados versions might run under Vista as well).
Anyway, if you have the "Business" or higher version of Vista, I suggest that you downgrade to XP and use Trados build 756. The later versions feature more functions and far more bugs.

[Upraveno: 2008-03-06 07:52]

Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 00:05
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Not quite Mar 6, 2008

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Trados 2007 is the only choice because it is the only version officially supported to run under Vista by SDL International (although older Trados versions might run under Vista as well).
Anyway, if you have the "Business" or higher version of Vista, I suggest that you downgrade to XP and use Trados build 756. The later versions feature more functions and far more bugs.

[Upraveno: 2008-03-06 07:52]

Although Trados 2007 is the only version that "officially" runs with Vista, as Stanislav has pointed out, a number of Proz users (including myself) have already reported that Trados 7 works perfectly fine with their Windows Vista systems (all you have to do is make sure you install the program with the "Run as Administrator" option). However, downgrading to XP is also a possibility to think about.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which Trados version should I buy?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs