Thread poster: Keren Terret
Keren Terret
Keren Terret
Israel
Local time: 02:59
Hebrew to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2008

I recently purchased Trados in the last Group Buy and have booked my "Getting Started" online training course. Truth is, I haven't had the opportunity to even read through the user's manual or play around with the software since I bought it. I've been waiting for a "quiet" day but none has come yet. I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone participated in one of Trados's 3 hour online training courses? How does it work? Do I need a webcam and mic? Is it interactive or one-way? Did it m
... See more
I recently purchased Trados in the last Group Buy and have booked my "Getting Started" online training course. Truth is, I haven't had the opportunity to even read through the user's manual or play around with the software since I bought it. I've been waiting for a "quiet" day but none has come yet. I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone participated in one of Trados's 3 hour online training courses? How does it work? Do I need a webcam and mic? Is it interactive or one-way? Did it meet expectations and give a sufficient base to start working with the program?

2. Should I read the user's manual and play around with the program prior to the course, or will participating in the course give me the tools I need?

3. What about the Trados webinars? I'm interested in hearing about people's experience. Is it the same format as the online course, only shorter? Were they useful and informative?

I looked for these answers on the Trados site but did not find any.

I hope some of you may be able to help.

Thanks in advance,
Keren
Collapse

Ivana Kahle
Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:59
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
One-way training Mar 6, 2008

Hi!
I took the training about 2 months ago.
Let me answer your questions.
1. It's quite exhausting. Unfortunately, it works only one-way. However, at the end of the training the participants have the opportunity to ask questions. You don't need neither a webcam, nor a mic, just your PC and a telephone line. You'll be listening to explanations while watching what's going on on your screen. It's not bad, but as I said it works one-way and that's a big minus.
2. It would be
... See more
Hi!
I took the training about 2 months ago.
Let me answer your questions.
1. It's quite exhausting. Unfortunately, it works only one-way. However, at the end of the training the participants have the opportunity to ask questions. You don't need neither a webcam, nor a mic, just your PC and a telephone line. You'll be listening to explanations while watching what's going on on your screen. It's not bad, but as I said it works one-way and that's a big minus.
2. It would be very wise to go through your manual prior to the training, otherwise you won't understand a lot.
3. I registered to one of the webinars but wasn't able to participate in it. I guess it works the similar way, only without a phone.
Hope this helps you.
Good luck with Trados, you'll need it, it's not exactly user friendly, but don't give up.
Ivana
Collapse

Keren Terret
Keren Terret
Israel
Local time: 02:59
Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 6, 2008

Thank you Ivana. I appreciate the information. I am looking forward to getting up and running with Trados but understand that there is a frustrating learning curve involved.
Perhaps in future versions they will work on the user-friendliness aspect...

Leonardo Fus (X)
Leonardo Fus (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
On Line Trados Training Mar 6, 2008

Hi Keren,

ProZ.com has announced its first Online Trados Training Session.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=trainings

As you can see there, we released a Patent Translation On line course too.

These course are one-on-one, two-ways sessions, with the Trainer at your disposal 3 hours at least.

If this first experiences are successful, we will generat
... See more
Hi Keren,

ProZ.com has announced its first Online Trados Training Session.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=trainings

As you can see there, we released a Patent Translation On line course too.

These course are one-on-one, two-ways sessions, with the Trainer at your disposal 3 hours at least.

If this first experiences are successful, we will generate sessions in every languages and about more topics of interest.

Regards,

Leonardo Fusero
ProZ.com
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Online Training

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »