MultiTerm 2007 Script error: Object required
Thread poster: Nicolas Delucchi
Nicolas Delucchi
Nicolas Delucchi
Local time: 14:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2008

I've been having problems when editing or creating entries in SDL MultiTerm 2007 (MuliTerm 7.5.0.444 Build 448).

Whenever I hit the "Create" or "Edit" button, I get the following message:

(C
... See more
I've been having problems when editing or creating entries in SDL MultiTerm 2007 (MuliTerm 7.5.0.444 Build 448).

(Click on image to enlarge)

"Error en el script de esta página
Línea 57
Carácter: 2
Error: Se requiere un objeto
Código 0
URL: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Nk'/Configuración%20local/Temp/edid40.htm
¿Desea seguir ejecutando scripts en esta página?
Sí -- No"

I assume the English version would be:

"An error has occurred in the script on this page
Line 57
Character: 2
Error: Object required
Código 0
URL: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Nk'/Configuración%20local/Temp/edid40.htm
Do you wish to continue running scripts on this page?
Yes -- No"

No matter what I choose, I cannot edit or create any entry, even though in the bottom left it reads "Miniaplicación EditController started" (EditController MiniApplication started).

I devised a workaround in the meantime by creating termbases on MultiTerm and then adding terms from the Toolbar in Word or TagEditor. It's fast and easy, but I'd rather have this fully working.

I tried uninstalling Trados, MultiTerm, Javascript and Microsoft NET Framework, even deleting all multiterm entries from the registry (found some from old versions, up to MultiTerm iX) and I reinstalled everything from the manufacturer's installer, but it didn't help.

After that, I tried installing everything on a different computer, the problem wasn't there.

I suspect this might not really be MultiTerm related, but something about the way my PC is handling scripts and/or XML. Anyway, it is way over my head. . Google sends me to software and website programming sites, I couldn't find anything about this here and I'm at my wit's end on the matter. Also, I couldn't find anything about this in SDL's Knowledge base.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd really rather not reinstall Windows for this.

Thank you in advance.

My Specs:
Windows XP SP2 (fully updated)
Office 2003 SP3 (fully updated)
SDL Trados 2007 PRO SP2 (835)
SDL MultiTerm 2007 Desktop SP1 (7.5.0.444 Build 448)
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:12
English to Czech
+ ...
Same version, same issues Mar 7, 2008

Hi Nicolás,
I'm having the same problem sometimes and don't know how to resolve it. It occurs along with the "(-2147467261): (null)" message when trying to use active terminology recognition in Workbench.

IMHO, there might be a bug in this latest version of Trados causing problems with larger RAMs. Trados runs on machines with up to 1 GB RAM without any problems, but it seems to have serious problems on machines with larger RAM space.

Unfortunately, I don't have
... See more
Hi Nicolás,
I'm having the same problem sometimes and don't know how to resolve it. It occurs along with the "(-2147467261): (null)" message when trying to use active terminology recognition in Workbench.

IMHO, there might be a bug in this latest version of Trados causing problems with larger RAMs. Trados runs on machines with up to 1 GB RAM without any problems, but it seems to have serious problems on machines with larger RAM space.

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestion for you, would appreciate one myself.

[Upraveno: 2008-03-07 08:00]
Collapse

Nicolas Delucchi
Nicolas Delucchi
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not a RAM problem in my case Mar 7, 2008

I've got 1GB RAM, so I don't think it is the case here. In any case, one would wonder why the Trados team doesn't keep up with the times, specially if they say Trados 2007 supports Vista, and we all know you need at least 2GB to run it smoothly (I'll stick to XP for the time being).

I googled your specific error, but I could only find info on a problem that supposedly was corrected many versions ago.

I'm still trying to find info on XML and HTML debugging. I'll let you
... See more
I've got 1GB RAM, so I don't think it is the case here. In any case, one would wonder why the Trados team doesn't keep up with the times, specially if they say Trados 2007 supports Vista, and we all know you need at least 2GB to run it smoothly (I'll stick to XP for the time being).

I googled your specific error, but I could only find info on a problem that supposedly was corrected many versions ago.

I'm still trying to find info on XML and HTML debugging. I'll let you know if I find anything.

[Editado a las 2008-03-07 10:48]
Collapse

Nicolas Delucchi
Nicolas Delucchi
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update! Mar 11, 2008

So I keep trying several things. I'm now 100% positive it is not a spyware/virus problem and I cleaned every possible temp and useless file in the PC.

Also, as a friend suggested, I uninstalled Internet Explorer 7 and went back to a fully updated IE6.

Additionally, I installed Microsoft Script Editor from the Office 2003 installation files. This time, I get the same error message but the line referenced is 56 and I get a debugging option. When I hit "yes", the editor op
... See more
So I keep trying several things. I'm now 100% positive it is not a spyware/virus problem and I cleaned every possible temp and useless file in the PC.

Also, as a friend suggested, I uninstalled Internet Explorer 7 and went back to a fully updated IE6.

Additionally, I installed Microsoft Script Editor from the Office 2003 installation files. This time, I get the same error message but the line referenced is 56 and I get a debugging option. When I hit "yes", the editor opens "traverse.js" and gives me the following messages in green font along with the code (preceeded by "//"):

//Note on node changing: Firefox sees next siblings, previous siblings and children
//in a different way from IE: it includes text nodes. This means that for all changes
//we have to check for nodeType == 3 and move an additional node if it's true.

var nameCell = getNameCellFromFullDiv(fullDiv);

nameCell.style.border = "1px dotted black";

//Throws error in Firefox
try {
nameCell.focus();
}
catch(ex) { }

//adjust vertical scrolling
adjustPaneScroll(CurrentSelection, window);

I'm just hoping this makes sense to anyone with experience in programming. As it is, I've got no clue on how to proceed.

Can anyone please help me?
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Maybe one solution? Mar 13, 2008

I searched Trados support page and found out that similar MultiTerm errors occur especially with large TMs.

Export your TM to a TXT file and open the export in Notepad. Delete any information between the "" and "" tags. These tags themselves must be left intact. Save the TXT file and import it into an empty TM.

This worked with me.

The issue with MultiTerm is that it runs under Microsoft Jet, which is Microsoft's hybrid of Java. And as with most Micr
... See more
I searched Trados support page and found out that similar MultiTerm errors occur especially with large TMs.

Export your TM to a TXT file and open the export in Notepad. Delete any information between the "" and "" tags. These tags themselves must be left intact. Save the TXT file and import it into an empty TM.

This worked with me.

The issue with MultiTerm is that it runs under Microsoft Jet, which is Microsoft's hybrid of Java. And as with most Microsoft products, it suffers from serious stability problems.

[Upraveno: 2008-03-13 10:56]

[Upraveno: 2008-03-13 10:57]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Update Mar 15, 2008

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

This worked with me.

The issue with MultiTerm is that it runs under Microsoft Jet, which is Microsoft's hybrid of Java. And as with most Microsoft products, it suffers from serious stability problems.

[Upraveno: 2008-03-13 10:56]

[Upraveno: 2008-03-13 10:57]

Sorry about the mess, I meant the "RTF preamble" and "/RTF preamble" tags.

Anyway, check whether your termbases are not empty, i. e. whether they indeed contain some entries. In MultiTerm, go to Termbase > Termbase catalogue > "General" tab. It should say "This termbase contains xy entries" If "xy" equals "0", your termbase is empty and you will have to reload your termbase before you can use it interactively from Word.

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Does it happen with the "Sample" database too? Mar 15, 2008

Nicol�s Delucchi wrote:

Any thoughts on how to proceed? Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd really rather not reinstall Windows for this.

Hi,

Does it happen withe "Sample" termbase which is shipped with MultiTerm or with a specific termbase thaty you have created?

I have had this error when using customised layout definitions and input models.

In my case the problem was in the layout definition.

Daniel

Nicolas Delucchi
Nicolas Delucchi
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No customized layouts or wrong tags Mar 16, 2008

Sorry I didn't answer earlier and thank you both for your suggestions.

Stanislav: this happens even with empty termbases, when I want to add a new entry. It happens with the sample termbase and with termbases old and new. I tried exporting and importing, but it won't let me export to TXT, only to XML. It says "The export file cannot be created"

dgmaga: It happens with all termbases, including the Sample. I use the default bilingual glossary template for my termbases.

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Number of entries Mar 16, 2008

Hi Nicolás,
one more suggestion: When you try to export the entries, how many entries does MultiTerm show are contained in the termbase?

Cristina Bolohan
Cristina Bolohan  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 20:12
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
the same problem Apr 11, 2009

Hi,
I am experiencing the same problem. Did you manage to solve the mistery? If yes, please share with us your ideas..
Thank you

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Disable Next Generation Java Apr 14, 2009

Hi Cristina,
Jerzy has suggested several times disabling the Next Generation Java.
Go to Start > Settings > Control Panels and double-click "Java". Go to the "Advanced" tab, click on "Java plug-in" and uncheck the "Enable Next Generation Java plug-in". Re-register MultiTerm and that should do the trick.

Cristina Bolohan
Romania
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Other problems Jul 16, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi Cristina,
Jerzy has suggested several times disabling the Next Generation Java.
Go to Start > Settings > Control Panels and double-click "Java". Go to the "Advanced" tab, click on "Java plug-in" and uncheck the "Enable Next Generation Java plug-in". Re-register MultiTerm and that should do the trick.

Thank you Stanislav
Now I can add/edit terms in Multiterm but instead I am getting a null error message (- 214746726) when trying to activate term recognition options. I am using Windows Vista Home Premium (unfortunately) and Java (TM) 2 Runtime Environment Standard Edition 1.4.2_08. Trados and Vista brought me to the brink of despair.

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Trados version? Jul 17, 2009

Hi Cristina,
what is your Trados version (TWB > Help > About)?

Cristina Bolohan
Romania
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
A possible solution Aug 4, 2009

My final decision was to install both operating systems, Vista and XP, on my computer. Trados and Multitem work just fine.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm 2007 Script error: Object required

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »