Thread poster: Paulo César Mendes MD, CT

Paulo César Mendes MD, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 7, 2008

Hello to all,

For some reason, spell checking files in my Tag Editor is sometimes (well, most of the time) utterly, excruciatingly slow. There are long pauses between each query.

Does anyone know how to speed up the works? Or what I might be doing wrong? I find these delays really annoying, particularly when there are (the usual) looming deadlines.

Thank you,
Paulo

Direct link Reply with quote

Martine Soulet  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:50
English to French
+ ...
copy and paste Mar 7, 2008

in Word and launch your Word (or any other) spell checker. It's a bit heavy procedure but faster than tag editor spellchecker anyway.

Best

Martine

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:50
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
Not much help Mar 7, 2008

Martine Soulet wrote:
cope and paste in Word and launch your Word (or any other) spell checker. It's a bit heavy procedure but faster than tag editor spellchecker anyway.

But then you'll be going back to TE for every correction.

TE's spellchecker is awfully bad especially on large documents, but I really don't know any solutions. Would be nice to hear some tips if anyone's got 'em!

[Edited at 2008-03-07 16:28]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
The easy way Mar 7, 2008

Analyse the original files in WB and export unknown segments (less than 99% match) to a rtf-file. Translate in Word, spellcheck, then clean up, update tm and translate to fuzzy in TE.
Also in Word the spellcheck can hang up, if the doc is too large. Then you better split the file into smaller parts.
Yesterday I started a new project this way in Word, when Trados hung up and would not open segments anymore.
No problem, I exported tm to tmx and continued with Wordfast.
After all life is too short to resolve all Trados related problems.

Cheers
Heinrich

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
Really worth it? Mar 7, 2008

All that hassle just to save maybe 1 minute of time at the spellcheck stage?

I find that translating in Word is inferior to translating in TE for the following reasons:

1) Opening and closing segments in Word is actually much slower
2) Word will gladly let you screw up Trados tags while you really have to go out of your way to do that in TE
3) In Word, you have to worry about formatting - this can be a real pain
4) Word crashes slightly more often than TE

Sometimes it even makes sense to do the reverse - translate a .doc file in TE.

{All above is IMHO}

[Edited at 2008-03-07 16:47]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Not to my experience Mar 8, 2008

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

All that hassle just to save maybe 1 minute of time at the spellcheck stage?

I find that translating in Word is inferior to translating in TE for the following reasons:

1) Opening and closing segments in Word is actually much slower
2) Word will gladly let you screw up Trados tags while you really have to go out of your way to do that in TE
3) In Word, you have to worry about formatting - this can be a real pain
4) Word crashes slightly more often than TE

Sometimes it even makes sense to do the reverse - translate a .doc file in TE.

{All above is IMHO}

[Edited at 2008-03-07 16:47]

That may be true for some systems and translators. I have never messed up any tags in Word, not with Wf, nor with Trados (wf protects even better than Trados). There are no formatting issues, because the original files are pure text files (dtp).

Word with automatical spellchecking is not slower than TE without any spellchecking.

Complicated Word-files should be translated in TE or SDLX or the like, but that is not the issue here. The exported rtf is really a simple textfile.

Cheers
Heinrich

Paulo César Mendes MD, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wondering... Mar 10, 2008

Thank you for all the replies. It seems that mileage varies regarding the amount of time spent spell-checking... Mine often takes much more than 1-2 minutes, particularly if there is more than one TE window open. In one particular project, things improved somewhat when I spell-checked one file at a time with just one TE window open.

Martina's and Heinrich's solutions seem both worth trying with large, troublesome files. I still wonder, however, if some configuration change might make things run more smoothly. Not betting on it though...

Johnny Speiermann
Denmark
Local time: 09:50
English to Danish
+ ...
Word not closed correctly Mar 10, 2008

Hi Paulo,

TagEditor often gets slow as it doesn't always close the connection to Word properly after running spell check.

You can check this by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del to open Task Manager. Exit Word, and see if there are still instances of winword.exe on the list. If that is the case (and you are not using Word for anything else, you can click the instance and click End Proces. Do this for all instances of winword.exe.

After this it is always also a good idea to exit and restart TagEditor as it might otherwise not be able to run the spellchecker.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor's Spell Checker Too Slow for Comfort

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs