Thread poster: Pro-Trans

Pro-Trans
France
Local time: 14:51
English to French
+ ...
Mar 11, 2008

Hi,

One client indicated me this shortcut to translate a file with very little fuzzy matches and new words (and lots of 100% he doesn't want to pay for...).
I have noticed two problems:
- a lot of 100% segments open during the translation process
- while looking at some pages of the file at the end of my translation, I noticed that a few fuzzy matches were skipped.

Now, I doubt about the reliability of this shortcut.

Had any of you ever had this problem? Do you often use this shortcut and rely on it without any problems?

I use SDL Trados 2007 on a laptop and MS Word 2003.

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Ah, but is the file pretranslated? Mar 11, 2008

The help text for this feature says
"This command is useful in texts that have already been partly translated using the Translate feature from the Translator's Workbench Tools menu."

Maybe it should be a bit more explicit:
To be able to properly use this feature, you have to pretranslate the file with the "Segment Unknown Sentences" box checked, AFAIK.

HTH,
Benjamin

Pro-Trans
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, the file is pretranslated Mar 11, 2008

Thanks for this information, Benjamin.

Indeed, I forgot to mention that the client sent me the pretranslated files.
Maybe the client hasn't checked the "Segment Unknown Sentences" box...

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Pretranslation Mar 13, 2008

The files were pretranslated and the client has provided you with an outdated TM that does not contain some of the pretranslated segments. That's why some of the 100% matches open.

BTW, your client might not pay for pretranslated segments, but he should pay some smaller amount for 100% matches.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alt+Ctrl+Home: reliable shortcut?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums