How to create a new fresh TM?
Thread poster: Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve

Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Colombia
Local time: 19:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 12, 2008

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing well.

I just finished a translation project in which I used Trados 7. My client asked me to create an entire TM for the whole project (which I did). Today morning, I have been contacted for my client asking me for a fresh TM regarding the same project, but this time, they want to have the TM updated with the files that they have already proofreaded and sent to the end client.

My question is:

I have all proofreaded files that I translated, so how can I create that new fresh TM with these files?

I'd really appreciate any help.

Regards,

Giovany.

Direct link Reply with quote

Marta Valdés Enríquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:23
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Clean the updated files against your TM Mar 12, 2008

Go to "Tools" > "Clean up" > Add the proofread files and clean them up (always keeping another copy, just in case) with the option "Update TM" selected.

This will overwrite the changed segments on the TM.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Marta

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:23
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Are they paying for this??? Mar 13, 2008

You know, the maintenance of the TM is really their job. You supplied the translation and the TM, that is your job, and unless they pay for it, it is not your duty to update the TM with changes made down the supply-chain line.

If they not used the bilingual file for the proofreading/editing, then you cannot use the method suggested by Marta. You can expect a lot of frustration as the process can take hours depending on the volume of the files and the changes in them.
If there are only a few changes (you can use Word to compare the files), you may want to open up your bilingual translation file (the one you submitted for them) and open the modified segments, copy the changes then save the segments.

If there are a lot of changes, you will need to align the files, and create a new TM that way. WinAlign is the Trados tool for that, it is pretty slow. I think Wordfast has a similar tool that works much faster.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
New TM Mar 13, 2008

The TM update using the cleanup process is sometimes unreliable. So if you want to be 100% sure your TM only contains segments from the proofed files, create a new, empty TM and clean the proofed files there.

Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Colombia
Local time: 19:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Mar 13, 2008

Your comments has been very useful. I finally did what Stanislav Pokorny advised.

Have a nice day!

Giovany.

Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
Don't understand how.. working from proofed target file . Mar 17, 2008

Hello Stanislav,

Interesting read, but I don't quite understand what Stanissav Pokorny wrote :

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

The TM update using the cleanup process is sometimes unreliable. So if you want to be 100% sure your TM only contains segments from the proofed files, create a new, empty TM and clean the proofed files there.

If you use the clean files (taget language) - then I cannot see, how you can make bi-lingual TM. Won't it just be segments ? Can you explain, please ?

Best regards
Birthe

Marta Valdés Enríquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
what Stanislav was trying to say (FMHO) Jul 8, 2008

Hello Birthe,

I understand that what Stanislav was trying to say is the following:

1) My proposal was that, after having finished the translation and made sure everything was ok, the segmented file should be cleaned against the TM updating it (overwriting the old segments).

2) Stanislav proposed to create a new TM and clean up the segmented proofread file against it. This way, the only feed for this new TM would be the final segments.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Sorry for not answering sooner, I just did not follow this topic anymore and I've seen your question now.

Have a nice day,
Marta

Birthe Omark wrote:

Hello Stanislav,

Interesting read, but I don't quite understand what Stanissav Pokorny wrote :

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

If you use the clean files (taget language) - then I cannot see, how you can make bi-lingual TM. Won't it just be segments ? Can you explain, please ?

Best regards
Birthe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create a new fresh TM?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs