Mobile menu

New Trados user - installation issues
Thread poster: GeorginaW
GeorginaW  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:46
German to English
Mar 14, 2008

Well not yet a user, unfortunately: having partially downloaded Trados 2007 Freelance + Work Bench yesterday, I am in a mess. Now, having paid for the software, I get to see what conditions Trados requires to work with my computer. Too late!
I am still using Word etc 2002, so I imagine that won't work. My laptop has 162MB available RAM and total virtual memory is 2GB (1.96 available).
After the larger Trados file took half an hour to download, I was surprised that the second tranche took about one second. I now have two files on my desktop + an installer PDF. But I have the feeling that the second part (Multiterm about 231MB) won't fit.
I would like to throw the whole lot away and retreat to my (stone age, I know!) cave, where everything was working swimmingly till now...
Any advice from you old hands - as you can see, I am a technical wizard (I don't think).

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-03-14 10:10]

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
It might work Mar 14, 2008

Hi Georgina,

Now, having paid for the software, I get to see what conditions Trados requires to work with my computer. Too late!

Of course, it's always a good idea to check system requirements before you purchase something. However, I think there's a good chance that SDL Trados will work on your machine.

I am still using Word etc 2002, so I imagine that won't work.

This shouldn't be any problem at all. While SDL Trados 2007 is the only release that supports Office 2007, this doesn't mean that it doesn't support previous Office versions. Actually, there have even been numerous reports of problems with Office 2007, so you might be better of not using the most recent Office version.

My laptop has 162MB available RAM and total virtual memory is 2GB (1.96 available).

Could it be that you are mixing up hard disk space and RAM here? I can hardly imagine that your laptop has only 162 RAM unless it is very very old. If this is really the case, I'm afraid SDL Trados won't run but I'd imagine you'd have some trouble with other applications as well?! What operating system are you running?

I now have two files on my desktop + an installer PDF. But I have the feeling that the second part (Multiterm about 231MB) won't fit.

You should have two downloads: SDL Trados 2007 SP2 (406 MB) and SDL Multiterm 2007 (231 MB). The latter is the terminology managment tool that comes with SDL Trados. You need to install both of them (Trados first, then Multiterm). Of course, you can also just install SDL Trados first and keep Multiterm for later if you want to get familiar with the tools step by step.

I hope this helps a bit. Let me know if anything else is unclear.

Best regards,
Claudia

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
System requirements Mar 14, 2008

Hi Georgina,
I'd like to clarify a few points...

Well not yet a user, unfortunately: having partially downloaded Trados 2007 Freelance + Work Bench yesterday, I am in a mess. Now, having paid for the software, I get to see what conditions Trados requires to work with my computer. Too late!

The system requirements are listed on TranslationZone, SDL's site for freelancers and small LSPs:

System Requirements

SDL Trados 2007 runs on Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 Server.
Windows Vista or Windows XP is recommended for optimum performance.

PC with Pentium III or compatible processor (Pentium IV or higher recommended).

512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended) on Windows 2000/Windows XP Home/Windows XP Professional/Windows Vista.

You did not mention which operating system and processor you're using.

I am still using Word etc 2002, so I imagine that won't work.

Why?

My laptop has 162MB available RAM and total virtual memory is 2GB (1.96 available).

What's the total RAM?

After the larger Trados file took half an hour to download, I was surprised that the second tranche took about one second.

Sounds like something went wrong with the second download - check the file size.

I now have two files on my desktop + an installer PDF. But I have the feeling that the second part (Multiterm about 231MB) won't fit.

Fit where?

I would like to throw the whole lot away and retreat to my (stone age, I know!) cave, where everything was working swimmingly till now...

How about getting some professional help for your system? Perhaps there's a local computer shop you could turn to for help?

Best regards,
Ralf

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
re New Trados user - installation issues Mar 14, 2008

Thank you to you both for the extensive help. I did try to check the requirements for the program, but I was unaware of the Word version condition (which appeared after I'd paid and attempted downloading - sorry, not sure where I saw it).

As to my system: I have XP and "virtueller Speicher 2GB gesamt, 1.96GB verfügbar;
realer Speicher 512MB gesamt, 162MB verfügbar" to quote from my "Systeminformationen" .

Next question: obviously the second half of my Trados program hasn't downloaded. Should I do the licencing before I try again? I tried several times to get it to download yesterday evening, without success. (Ralf: What I meant by "fit" is that perhaps there isn't space on my disk for 500MB+ extra programs.)

Germany
English to German
+ ...
installation issues Mar 14, 2008

I did try to check the requirements for the program, but I was unaware of the Word version condition (which appeared after I'd paid and attempted downloading - sorry, not sure where I saw it).

Still not sure what exactly you are referring to - I don't think you'll run into problems using Word 2002.

As to my system: I have XP and "virtueller Speicher 2GB gesamt, 1.96GB verfügbar;
realer Speicher 512MB gesamt, 162MB verfügbar" to quote from my "Systeminformationen" .

So you have 512 MB RAM, which is the minimum requirement. - SDL Trados will run on your laptop but you might run into memory problems with bigger files or if you run several applications at the same time. You might be able to get some extra RAM for your laptop, check with a local computer dealer.

Next question: obviously the second half of my Trados program hasn't downloaded. Should I do the licencing before I try again? I tried several times to get it to download yesterday evening, without success. (Ralf: What I meant by "fit" is that perhaps there isn't space on my disk for 500MB+ extra programs.)

Still not sure what you mean by "the second half". If you refer to Multiterm, you can start without that and install it later on.

Regarding the licencing, you can only licence the program once you have installed it. However, if you don't even have 500 MB of free space on your hard disk (once again, are you sure you are not mixing up hard disk space and RAM, which isn't the same thing!!!) you might not be able to install the program in the first place. The system requirements don't contain information regarding the free disk space that is needed for an installation but it might well be more than 500 MB. I'd strongly advise to free some disk space before you even try to install SDL Trados.

HTH
Claudia

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
installation issues Mar 14, 2008

Thanks so much - I have bought an external harddisk which I haven't set up yet, so that sounds like the next step, to create some space. And perhaps try out my Trados support agreement.

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Trados installation problem Mar 20, 2008

Hi,
Since I last posted about my problems, I have had no time to get any further with it. Having (I thought) downloaded Trados, I now don't think I have, because the two Trados icons on my desktop are just white squares with a blue strip on top. When I click on them, they are clearly not taking me anywhere. Even so the main program file took half an hour to "download".
I have been into the SDL Trados site several times, but the support there is down so I can't get any further.
I think I have to junk these two files and start again - should I, and can I?
(When I first posted I was not sure how much free space was on my computer: I have 23GB of hard disk free and more than 500MB RAM.)

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Download everything again Mar 20, 2008

Hi Georgina,

the two Trados icons on my desktop are just white squares with a blue strip on top. When I click on them, they are clearly not taking me anywhere.

This sounds like a normal downloaded .exe file. - .exe files are often displayed as "white squares with a blue strip on top". However, if double-clicking the file doesn't take you anywhere, the file might not have been completely downloaded. You can check its size to be sure, according to what I see in my account, the file size should be as follows:

SDL Trados 2007 Professional SP2 - 406 MB and
SDL MultiTerm 2007 - 231 MB.

If the files that you have aren't this size, junk them and download them again. Don't worry, you can download them as often as you need to - and you definitely have enough space on your hard disk to download them again

HTH

Best regards,
Claudia

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Repeat download Mar 20, 2008

Thanks Claudia - both files are in KB, not MB! I will try again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Trados user - installation issues

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs