Mobile menu

Shrink/expand segment, how does it work?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:59
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mar 15, 2008

I'm translating a ttx in TE. Very often the source segment consists of more than one sentence, with full stop and even followed by linebrake tags. But when I press Tools > shrink segment, nothing happens.
I'm used from Wordfast, that I can resegment always on the fly, if necessary using forced segmentation. But how to proceed in TE?
There is not of course much use of the TM if the segments are too long and consist on two or three sentences.
Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:59
German to French
A workaround Mar 15, 2008

Hi Heinrisch,

I often notice the same problem, and I think TagEditor is not so "flexible" with expanding/shrinking segments, especially when the source files are DTP-based formats.

What I do in this case is to delete the translation/restore the source (Alt + Del), and to manually add a line break after the end of the sentence by pressing Enter on the keyboard.
In most cases, it solves the problem and TagEditor segments directly after the end of the sentence. You just have to be careful to be sure that it won't affect the structure of the file.

HTH,
Sylvain

Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
In a Trados seminar I took recently... Mar 15, 2008

... I was told that shrink / expand segment in both TE and workbench/Word works by simultaneously pressing Ctrl+Alt and hitting Page Down to expand and Page Up to shrink.

Since then, I have only used the "expand" shortcut; it has been a life saver too, because the structure of sentences can be very different in different languages and this used to drive me up the wall, so to speak!

Cheers to all!

Lina

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's good news Mar 16, 2008

Thanks Angeliki,
this shortcut seems to work.
I had a list of official Trados shortcuts, but only for working in Word.

But now I realise these shortcusts can be found in the TE Help menu, after you search for "shortcut".

I wish someone would publish a list of these shortcuts in TE.

Regards

Heinrich

Swaiyam  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:59
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Doesn't seem to work Jul 31, 2009

Angeliki Papadopoulou wrote:

... I was told that shrink / expand segment in both TE and workbench/Word works by simultaneously pressing Ctrl+Alt and hitting Page Down to expand and Page Up to shrink.

Well, I tried to expand segments "with the blue and yellow" showing, as well as after I'd saved/closed. The cursor was placed after the {0> of the first segment but nothing expanded.

Am using Trados 2007 Freelance. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Anu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shrink/expand segment, how does it work?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs