Thread poster: Isabel Lindinger

Isabel Lindinger  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 11:00
French to German
+ ...
Mar 15, 2008

Hi,

I'm sorry to come up with this subject again, I know there have been a few posts on this already, but I have to admit that I'm afraid of messing it up ... So I'd be really grateful if somebody could give me some advice on this.

I use SDL Trados 2006 - Freelance 7.0 (Node locked) and I'll get a new laptop next week. I'd like to keep Trados on the old pc, just in case, and I want to install it on the new laptop. I know I can't use it simultanously on two machines, but as far as I know, it's possible to have it installed on two computers...

So, the first thing I don't understand is:

- In order to install Trados on a new machine, I need to return the licence, right? So how is it possible to "get the licence back" or to get a second licence for the laptop? Or can I just copy the licence file?
And (probably a very stupid question), do I have to return the licence from the PC were Trados is installed at the moment?

My second big question is:

Once I have successfully reinstalled Trados, how do I have to organise the files in order to get the Translation Memories up and running, do I have to import the TMs? Or do I have to copy the relevant files and define the path... (where? settings?)

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 16:00
English to Indonesian
+ ...
only on network Mar 16, 2008

if you have sdl trados 2k6, you can install and use it at the same time on two or more computers. you can't, however, use it simultaneously on two or more computers connected on a network. cmiiw.

Satu Ilva  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:00
English to Finnish
+ ...
From SDL Licensing manager help Mar 17, 2008

I was wondering about the same thing since I'm considering getting a desktop but would want to also keep using Trados on the laptop (obviously not simultaneously but depending on where and how I happen to be working). I found this in the Licensing manager help file (for SDL Trados 2007):

"SDL Trados Freelance users can use the same activation code to activate the same product on two computers as long as the computers are not on the same network."

How exactly they determine that the computers are not on the same network I don't know. This could be an issue for me since I probably would at times have the two computers on at the same time, connected to the same network, but I guess I could work around that.

Callmeaspade  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:00
English to Russian
+ ...
This is no problem, as far as I understand Mar 17, 2008

I also have to work at two different computers from time to time and had no problems installing Trados with the same license files. I believe, if your computers with Trados running will be on the same network, it'll automatically detect the fact and won't let you start the second instance until you shut down the first one (that's how such software protection usually work). Haven't ever checked that, though.

As for your second question, you can just copy your latest translation memory file (tmw) from one computer to the other and open it in Workbench. I also use to copy other TM files (there are six or seven of them), but I'm not sure, whether this is really necessary.

If you use Multiterm, you'll probably also want to have your latest termbases on both computers. In this case you'll have to 'Package' a termbase to an mdb file and then Import it from this file on the other computer.

All that is not much of a problem, but constant copying of TMs and termbases is a nuisance, so you could try to store them in some sort of a repository in your network or the Web, where they are accessible from both computers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installation on new/second computer

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs