Any suggestions on how to stop the text from becoming bold when opening a new TU?
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:59
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Mar 17, 2008

Recently it has become very common for the text of the document to change to bold each time I open a new TU. It is a terrible nuisance, since I find it easier on the eyes when it is not bold, so I have to change it before I translate the TU, rather than simply changing the entire text when I have finished the translation.

Sometimes it is only the text in both boxes that changes to bold, and sometimes the following sentence underneath as well.

It does not happen all the time, but there are spells when it starts to happen, and then it just carries on, with one TU after another.

Can anyone suggest a solution, other than laboriously changing it with each TU?

I should mention that I do already have the latest service pack.

Astrid

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try enabling more languages in Office Mar 17, 2008

Hi,

This question appears frequently...

I guess none of the other possible workarounds discussed in other threads in this forum has worked either...

I don't know if this would work for you in this project but you might want to give it a shot.

We some times get source documents in English in which some Asian language has been enabled.

This causes undesired font changes and corruption of extended characters.

We can solve the issue by enabling Japanese, Korean and Chinese (Simplified and Traditional) through "Microsoft Office Language tools" (in the Windows Start menu).

Another thing that has helped for us in the past is making sure that the "Arial Unicode MS" font (which is not the "Arial" font) is installed in the fonts folder in Windows.

If the document does not have heavy formatting try copying and pasting as text into a new document. You will lose the formatting but you will not have font problems.

I hope these helps!

Daniel

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:59
English to French
+ ...
Using the client's fonts Mar 17, 2008

Your safest bet in such cases is to use the same fonts that client has used. Sometimes, a source document is written using fonts that are not installed on your system. You must start by checking the fonts that are present in the document. If there are fonts in the document that are not installed on your machine, such accidents are likely to happen, and you then need to install the missing fonts. However, this is not always possible because sometimes, the client uses proprietary fonts you would need to purchase in order to install them (only a handful of standard fonts is available free). In such cases, the fairest solution is to advise the client that you do not have their font and that either they need to provide it along with the source document or you are not responsible for any weird behaviour of the text (such as you describe). In other words, you kindly let them know that once you deliver the translation, they will have to do some DTP on it to switch the fonts back to what they used in the original.

All the best!

Edit: I have frequently encountered the same problem you are having. Then, I downloaded a bunch of common fonts and installed them. Since then, I do not remember encountering this problem at all. There is no guarantee that installing all possible fonts on your machine will definitely resolve this issue, but in my case, it seems to have fixed the problem.

[Edited at 2008-03-17 06:15]

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:59
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, I will try these suggestions Mar 17, 2008

Thank you Daniel, thank you Viktoria, I will try these suggestions regarding the fonts and report in this thread how I get on.

Astrid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any suggestions on how to stop the text from becoming bold when opening a new TU?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs