Thread poster: Annelise Meyer

Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:04
English to French
+ ...
Mar 17, 2008

Hello everyone,

this is a message to notify anyone using Trados 6.5, SDLX 2004, or earliers versions and intending to upgrade to the latest version of SDL Trados, that they should do it before April 1st. After that date, the upgrade will no longer be available, and you will have to buy the new version instead (more expensive than an upgrade). You can find more info here:
http://www.translationzone.com/en/landing/upgrade_pricing.asp

Regards,

Annelise

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 20:04
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
This may be a chance as well Mar 17, 2008

You can switch to another CAT tool. Upgrade from Trados 6.5 is EUR 365. On the other hand, buying a new CAT tool is approximately same or cheaper.

Deja Vu X Standard: EUR 490
MemoQ Pro: EUR 450
Wordfast: EUR 250
MetaTexis Pro: EUR 98

And the list continues ...

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Exactly what I thought Mar 17, 2008

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
You can switch to another CAT tool...

I have been using Trados for 8 [Edit: actually it's 9] years and so far I had waited for customers to require new versions before actually buying an upgrade.

This new policy means that I HAVE to upgrade, which is entirely different.

I will definitely look at other options when my 7.5 version becomes obsolete, because I don't exactly see what benefit this new policy brings to long-term customers!

Philippe

[Modifié le 2008-03-17 19:53]

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
I imagine they are trying Mar 18, 2008

to get the non-unicode supporting version users into unicode area. Then the tagging information, colors etc., many other things change. After a while the 6.5 sdlx 2004 will be legacy and probably will be taken out of circulation.Brandis

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Not the first time they are doing that Mar 18, 2008

They have been doing that all the time since version 2. Not taking them up on their friendly early bird and last chance offers has saved me an amount in the 4 digit range. Meanwhile, I still deliver the required formats to Trados clients as they wish. Question of flexibility...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Users of Trados 6.5/SDLX 2004 and earlier - about upgrades

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs