Expand segment in Bilingual file using TagEditor?
Thread poster: Sumana U
Sumana U
Sumana U
German to English
+ ...
Mar 18, 2008

Hi,

I am using SDL Trados V 7.5.

Is it possible to do Expand segment in Bilingual .ttx file using TagEditor?
Could anyone please explain the procedures included?

Thanks in advance

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:58
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Look for shortcuts Mar 18, 2008

In Help you can search for shortcuts. When a new segment is open, pressing Alt+Ctrl+Pg down would expand, Pg up shrink you segment.
Regards
Heinrich

Sumana U
Sumana U
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No HELP Mar 19, 2008

Hi,

I referred the Help topics by giving the search. The shortcuts mentioned are already tried before asking the help in this forum. I am not able to Expand/Shrink the segment in .ttx file using TagEditor. I am not able to do this in both monolingual and bilingual files. It is quite possible that I am missing out any step(s) or not following proper steps.

Could you please explain the steps?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:58
English to German
+ ...
Two possible reasons Mar 19, 2008

...why this doesn't work:

The file has already been (pre-)translated - you can only expand into an untranslated segment.

You're trying to expand across a section break or other end-of-segment marker.

HTH, Ralf

Sumana U
Sumana U
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
please suggest Mar 20, 2008

Yes, both points are correct.
The file is pre-translated and the broken segment has got the following codes in the starting, ending and in between:
//AB
//zu tun

It is a section break or end-of-segment marker that I don’t know. There is no mark other than ‘//’. The .ttx file is pre-translated but this particular segment is not translated.

When I open the ‘//AB’ segment and click on ‘Expand segment’ the translation already available in t
... See more
Yes, both points are correct.
The file is pre-translated and the broken segment has got the following codes in the starting, ending and in between:
//AB
//zu tun

It is a section break or end-of-segment marker that I don’t know. There is no mark other than ‘//’. The .ttx file is pre-translated but this particular segment is not translated.

When I open the ‘//AB’ segment and click on ‘Expand segment’ the translation already available in the TM is automatically copied at the cursor position.

Could you please suggest me in this regard? How to do the Expand Segment in this existing condition?

[Edited at 2008-03-20 06:46]

[Edited at 2008-03-20 06:56]

[Edited at 2008-03-20 06:57]
Collapse

ddana
ddana
English
Expanding segments in Trados Freelance 7 Mar 26, 2008

Actually, I have a very similar problem. I'm translating a *.xml document using Trados and I need to join segmets with inlinemedia objects and textobjects (the tags used are inlinemdiaobject - imageobject - imagedata - /imageobject and in the second segment textobject - phrase - /phrase - /textobject - /inlinemediaobject. So in fact, the inlinemediaobject tag is closed in the second segment, however, it is impossible to joint the segments using the standard command from the Workbench menu.
... See more
Actually, I have a very similar problem. I'm translating a *.xml document using Trados and I need to join segmets with inlinemedia objects and textobjects (the tags used are inlinemdiaobject - imageobject - imagedata - /imageobject and in the second segment textobject - phrase - /phrase - /textobject - /inlinemediaobject. So in fact, the inlinemediaobject tag is closed in the second segment, however, it is impossible to joint the segments using the standard command from the Workbench menu.

Can you help me with this problem, please?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Expand segment in Bilingual file using TagEditor?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »