Off topic: 'English natives' and others in the Non-English forums
Thread poster: chica nueva
chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 02:06
Chinese to English
May 31, 2008

How many "English-natives" and other 'foreigners' participate in the Non-English forums? Generally speaking, I'm the only non-Chinese in our Chinese forum. And few non-Chinese participate in the Kudoz.

What happens in the other communities? What about the other 'big power' languages Arabic, French, Russian, Spanish? (Goodness, why isn't Hindi in that UN list.)

Also, do you have national minorities in your forum? We do in ours; well, we have a voice from the Qinghai/Ti
... See more
How many "English-natives" and other 'foreigners' participate in the Non-English forums? Generally speaking, I'm the only non-Chinese in our Chinese forum. And few non-Chinese participate in the Kudoz.

What happens in the other communities? What about the other 'big power' languages Arabic, French, Russian, Spanish? (Goodness, why isn't Hindi in that UN list.)

Also, do you have national minorities in your forum? We do in ours; well, we have a voice from the Qinghai/Tibet Plateau.

And we have peers from the PRC, Taiwan and Hong Kong, and Singapore, and from the overseas diaspora in South East Asia, Europe, North America and the Pacific.

[Edited at 2008-05-31 12:33]
Collapse

Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
I do Jan 28, 2009

I am a native English speaker and I sometimes go to the Spanish forum. I've only posted in it once, but I read the posts more often.

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 02:06
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
world 'big power' languages May 8, 2009

lai an wrote:

Thanks Sara. Nice to know I'm not alone!

The Top 10 (excluding English), by number of speakers: Arabic, Bengali, French, German, Hindi, Japanese, Mandarin, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish. ...

[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_speaker_data#Most_spoken_languages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_by_speakers#100_million_native_speakers_or_morehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_number_of_speakers ]

[How long before Indonesian/Malay, Turkish and Persian join the group?]

[Edited at 2009-05-08 05:55 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'English natives' and others in the Non-English forums

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »