Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jun 14, 2008

G'day everyone

A horrible thing takes place lately on the forums. If I want to reply to a post, and I start typing my reply, and then I want to quickly check something on a previous page, I wouild use my browser's backbutton, but these days, if I do that, then instantly redirects the page to about:blank, thereby causing me to lose what I've written up to that point (because the browser creates a new history path from the forwarding page). I'm using Opera 9.27. I see no good reason why's pages should behave like this.

It's as if realises that the page was reached by a user using his back button, and then some sort of protection kicks in which forwards the page to about:blank. What's more, once this has happened, has a very powerful anti-backbutton function that prevents me from going back into my history past the last page, no matter how fast and furious I press the back-button.

If I disable JavaScript, the odd behaviour doesn't occur, but still does something funny because it still takes a second or two to render the page when I press the backbutton (and normally when you go back in the history with Opera, the display of previous pages are instantaneous since they are loaded straight from the cache).

Is there an explanation for this behaviour?

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes Jun 14, 2008

This is happening to me too and I use Opera (last version) too.

I am not a computer geek so I cannot offer any explanation, but I feel better seeing that it is not only me

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:18
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Staff is aware of it Jun 14, 2008

Hi Samuel,

And yes, I too upgraded to latest Opera and experience the same as Marie-Céline- "Back" button works, however to make links work, I have to wait until page fully loads and then (often) have to refresh the page.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No probs with Firefox Jun 15, 2008

Don't think is has to do with, a bug of Opera perhaps?

United States
I've reproduced the problem Jun 16, 2008

Hello Samuel,

Thanks for pointing out this issue. It is indeed a strange one and from the looks of the Opera forums, it's not an isolated one. They've recently released 9.50 to address a number of bug reports and I believe this one was included.

I've installed 9.26, 9.27 and 9.50 side-by-side in separate directories to examine the behaviour and so far, the (numerous) javascript bugs I was able to uncover with the 9.2x browsers seem to be resolved by the 9.50 release.

Could you try upgrading? I'm hoping you'll have the same results.

Best Regards,

Colin Brady
Local time: 00:18
I believe I found the culprit Jun 17, 2008

Hi Opera Users,

I think I've tracked down the bit of code that was causing this problem in Opera (in the older versions, 9.25 and 9.27). If you're still experiencing it, try clearing Opera's cache (Preferences => Advanced => History).

Thanks! Sorry for the trouble. Please let me know if the problem continues.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Backbutton forwards page to about:blank

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs