Same message on different forums?
Thread poster: stephanieL
stephanieL
stephanieL
English to Italian
Oct 1, 2008

Hi,

I posted a message yesterday on the Translation: Theory and Practice forum but so far, I have only received 1 reply. I was wondering whether I could re-post the message, which really touches on 2 different issues, in another forum.

Thank you.

Steph

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:54
English to Turkish
+ ...
To get replies / find what you want Oct 2, 2008

Hi Stephanie,

Posting the same message on different forums is not encouraged in the site. We have a relevant rule, in fact: Postings should not be made more than once.

Allow me to suggest a couple of hints to get replies and/or find what you need:

-Do a forum search before posting. There are detailed discussions on the forums on many subjects and pro
... See more
Hi Stephanie,

Posting the same message on different forums is not encouraged in the site. We have a relevant rule, in fact: Postings should not be made more than once.

Allow me to suggest a couple of hints to get replies and/or find what you need:

-Do a forum search before posting. There are detailed discussions on the forums on many subjects and problems we all have to deal with on a daily basis as translators. Chances are, your problem has already been discussed several times and good solutions have already been suggested. To make a forum search, go to the Community menu above; Forum search is the second item from top.

-Choose the most relevant/appropriate forum to post. New users -sorry, you may not be new to the site at all, I am just speaking generally- may miss that there are so many forums in the site, under a couple of generalized tabs, and they sometimes post in one of the most visible forums. These are usually moved by moderators to more relevant forums, but sometimes moderators may miss them, too. Result: a thread that would normally draw a lot of attention from the frequent visitors and posters of a technical forum, might sit in a site-related forum for ages without getting a reply.

-Always try to summarize your main point / request / problem in the title of your thread. We have a rule related to this one, too: Posters are expected to write detailed titles and post in the most appropriate forum. For instance, the title of the thread you mention not receiving adequate replies ("Word count") is too general that it is very unlikely to draw attention to your specific problem.

As a suggestion specific to your case, you may want to try the first hint above; and then, if it doesn't work -or, maybe you have already tried it- try to improve on the title as advised in the third hint. If you can't (editing function is blocked after 24 hours), you can contact the forum's moderator for help.

Good luck!
Collapse

stephanieL
stephanieL
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 9, 2008

Dear Ozden,

Thank you for your reply. Luckily, I found a solution to my problem without having to resort to posting again. Now though, I have a new problem, so off I go posting a new topic!

Kind regards,

Steph

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Same message on different forums?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »