Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Why not a chat tool as an alternative to forums?
Thread poster: Arnaud HERVE

Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:17
English to French
+ ...
Mar 10, 2009

Hi, just in the same way I suggested forums should become slower, I would like to suggest implementing a quicker online chat tool on this site.

This would serve 3 purposes:

1) provide technical assistance in case of emergency (ex: how do I open this file...)

2) Provide casual conversation for those who just want to chat (I do that sometimes at night)

3) Divert unimportant messages from forums (thus making work of moderators lighter)

In my view, such a tool would be visible only to registered users.

Then there can be many options, to be discussed.

Direct link

Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
English to French
not sure I understand Mar 10, 2009

I have a question (sorry if it sounds silly): what is the difference between a "chat tool" (I think I have never used them) and a forum?

Then, how to determine what can/must be discussed in a chat vs a forum? What are "unimportant messages"?

Stéphanie

Direct link

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Explanation Mar 10, 2009

A chat tool would be like your MSN, but inserted in a webpage of Proz.com. You would not have to download or install a separate program.

You would for example chose the chat tool if you have an emergency technical request, and there are people ready to help, and walk you immediately through the different steps. Like:

- Ok, is your file opened now?
- Yes, it is opened
- Ok, what do you see in the menu on your left?
- I see File, Edit, View...

That sort of things.

As for unimportant messages, I imagine it would be like:

- Hi
- How are you today?
- Mmmhh tired
- Me too
- Bad sleep?

That sort of things. No need to archive that.

Direct link

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Jabber? Mar 10, 2009

I think it would be great if ProZ.com was integrated with Jabber:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabber

Provided the Jabber server is not too resource consuming, ProZ could manage Jabber ID for all members (users?) and provide chatting capabilities. Each member could get a JID based on their nickname or full name (or even number), or even all of those at the same time (I'm not sure if Jabber supports aliases). Of course, opting out of the system should be always possible.

The advantage is that there are many gateways that connect Jabber protocol with other chat services (ICQ, AIM, GTalk, etc.), so one could use their favorite chat software to communicate with other Prozians. Naturally, there are many methods of embedding Jabber chat clients within webpages as well, so they can be used directly from the browser.

Of course, the possibilities are much wider: e.g. chatrooms assigned to popular forums (topics?), another channel of notification for jobs/Kudoz, ability to choose chat communication for support requests, etc.

[Edited at 2009-03-10 15:41 GMT]

Direct link

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Not a bad idea Mar 10, 2009

I think Arnaud's idea a good possibility. On the one hand there are the forums where special questions are discussed in a factual way, and on the other hand there is a "chat room" (for example) where opinions can be discussed in length by those who want to spend their time on it (day and night). That's how I understand his suggestion. It would take the heat out of some discussions, and may be a topic that gets too heated up in a forum could then be shifted to the chat.

Why not let members vote about such a new feature, or make a poll and decide by that?

Annett

Direct link

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:17
English to French
+ ...
Are you willing to moderate? Mar 10, 2009

Your idea seems fine in principle, but there are two problems I see with it:

1. A chat would be pretty much outside of the site scope (and make the site even more complicated to use than it already is).

2. Someone would have to moderate it in real time. Forum moderators are not busy 24/7 because they can periodically read their forums and don't have to be constantly staring at the screen. But in the case of a chat, the moderators would have to be glued to the screen as long as the chat is open. How do you propose chat rooms be moderated? Would you be willing to do it?

I'm just saying...

Direct link

Canada
English to French
+ ...
Not sure... Mar 10, 2009

Arnaud HERVE wrote:

- Ok, is your file opened now?
- Yes, it is opened
- Ok, what do you see in the menu on your left?
- I see File, Edit, View...

You may not be aware, but many users do use MSN Messenger, Skype and other external communication tools to do just that. We are already doing this.
Arnaud HERVE wrote:

As for unimportant messages, I imagine it would be like:

- Hi
- How are you today?
- Mmmhh tired
- Me too
- Bad sleep?

Are you implying that this is the type of conversation taking place in the forum? I haven't seen any such conversation here. It seems to me that you are proposing to add unimportant conversation to the important conversation we already have in the forum. Not sure if the ProZ clientele would be interested. I, for one, pick up the phone and call a friend to have such unimportant conversations...

Direct link

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Moderation Mar 10, 2009

I propose that chat would not be moderated.

For technical help I imagine it would be exceptional to drift off topic. For casual talk it would be only for people who want to talk to each others, and only as long as they wish to talk.

It would not be displayed to non registered.

Direct link

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would not use it Mar 10, 2009

Because:
A) If it is an important or interesting matter, or if help is needed with something, it's better to be able to write a forum reply with a full opinion or full details about the solution.

B) If it is just for chatting, hanging out or discussing weather, I am not interested. I grew out of chatting a decade ago.

Direct link

Canada
English to French
+ ...
Idea Mar 10, 2009

Maybe it would be a good idea if the status of users (online/offline) were displayed next to each forum post, and there were an icon one could click to talk privately, one on one. If a person is online, you can chat with that user in real time. This could be useful to sort out technical problems quickly, say hi to someone, etc. A bit like the chat functionality in Facebook.

This would not take up screen real estate on the site. I know I most likely wouldn't be using it, but hey, if others are interested and it doesn't infringe on any other component of the site, why not?

In any case, I am in favor of discussions where you write a throughtful message, not an impulsive one. Chats are rather impulsive, and the conversation can easily heat up...

Direct link

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Did not mean to offend anyone! Mar 10, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
B) If it is just for chatting, hanging out or discussing weather, I am not interested. I grew out of chatting a decade ago.

I hope this did not offend anyone. I meant to say that chatting as a way of entertainment is something I did A LOT a decade ago. After a couple of years chatting a lot, I started to see its disadvantages and damaging effects. And in any case, I have many other things to take care of, so... But I completely respect those who use it!

Direct link

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Weather Mar 10, 2009

Do you mean one that can't be locked when people get overheated? Then we could all chat about how hot it's getting in here, can't somebody open a window, phew, the weather's so sultry and stuffy.

Direct link

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
But.... Mar 10, 2009

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
Maybe it would be a good idea if the status of users (online/offline) were displayed next to each forum post, and there were an icon one could click to talk privately, one on one.

OK, but with the option to opt out to such contacts. I presume most of us need to be able to decide when in the day we need our concentration.

Direct link

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
And all information will fly away once the chat window is closed Mar 10, 2009

I hope you appreciate the richness of the archives of information the site forums are.

And, why do we need an alternative to the forums now? I did not even understand why we needed to slow down heated discussions, but that's an entirely different matter, of course

Direct link

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't knock it Mar 10, 2009

Let's try a dry run, shall we? I'll start the ball rolling ...

- Bit of a nip in the air today, isn't there?

Direct link

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why not a chat tool as an alternative to forums?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs