Mobile menu

Purchasing translation software - looking for opinions (and possibly a used DejaVu license)
Thread poster: Claudia Mirza

Claudia Mirza  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:12
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
Aug 24, 2003

Folks,
Earlier I opened a forum in order to discuss what kind of translation software we should use.

We are a translation company and all our translators use Trados but the main office has been deciding in what kind of software we should buy. I tried DeJavu and we loved it. Trados, it is very difficult to figure out and I feel that is not very user friendly. Wordfast, I do not know if in reality Wordfast is free.

My company needs to purchase it sooner or later. I am looking for someone that wants to sell a DeJavu licencse or any other cheaper alternatives. 1,200.00 dollars for DeJavu license is a lot of money. Trados, for 600 is pretty high for a very simple program. I need your opininon, how can I acquire this software without paying so much money?

Need some brain-storming here with you, the Seniors...

Thanks a lot,

Claudia

Direct link Reply with quote

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:12
English to German
+ ...
About WF Aug 24, 2003

cmirza wrote:

Wordfast, I do not know if in reality Wordfast is free.

Claudia

You are right. Wordfast IS NOT free anymore. However, compared with all the other tools, it is still cheaper.

You can go to:
http://www.champollion.net

to find how much a license is at the moment. Also, WF is able to handle Trados presegmented files and TMs as well as it provides Trados compatible TMs. As for DV, I heard a lot about it, but as most CAT tools, it is very expensive.

Regards,

Sonja

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
About WF Aug 25, 2003

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:
You are right. Wordfast IS NOT free anymore. However, compared with all the other tools, it is still cheaper.

This is not (quite) true: several other tools are cheaper than Wordfast, e.g. Wordfisher, OmegaT, Araya Suite, Foreigndesk, Sprint.

Marc (pedantic as ever )

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 02:12
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
WordFast is not cheaper, it is just more cost-effectiver! Aug 27, 2003

MarcPrior wrote:

This is not (quite) true: several other tools are cheaper than Wordfast, e.g. Wordfisher, OmegaT, Araya Suite, Foreigndesk, Sprint.

Marc (pedantic as ever )

WordFast doesn't offer you a special version for network, because even the demo can be operated in network.

WordFast works with several formats, not only Word (cost effectiver than WordFisher); Wf works on Windows, MAC, Linux (cost effectiver than OmegaT, Araya,), etc, etc.

Guess which TM an agency in the third world (License cost : EUR 90 for 2 computers) Would use

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Hm... Aug 29, 2003

Wf works on Windows, MAC, Linux (cost effectiver than OmegaT, Araya,), etc,

Well, OmegaT and Araya both run on Windows, Mac and Linux, too, so there's no difference there. And both are cheaper than Wordfast, at least in Europe.

As to which application is most cost-effective, that is an interesting question, but one I think that can only be answered subjectively, if at all, by someone who has used both of the applications under comparison. Have you, or for that matter anyone else reading this, ever used Araya?

Not that I wish to criticize Wordfast, you understand. It's a great piece of software and I agree that it's fantastic value for money.

Marc

Carmen Cuervo-Arango  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
DejaVu Sep 5, 2003

cmirza wrote:
I tried DeJavu and we loved it. Trados, it is very difficult to figure out and I feel that is not very user friendly. Claudia

Dear Claudia:

I would no doubt buy DejaVu. It is true that the price is high (though you recover the money of this investment pretty soon). I would buy an old license, as you suggest, or wait for a special promotion (Atril offers the product much cheaper some times).

It is not only a wonderful TM tool, but upgrading has been free for years and technical support is excellent. I could not do without it anymore!

Carmen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Purchasing translation software - looking for opinions (and possibly a used DejaVu license)

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs