Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:59
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Sep 9, 2011

Dear proz staff and colleagues,

I'd really like to see any "translator's playground" topics classified as off-topic, so that I can opt to not see them on the recent posts site. Alternatively, please offer an option to hide these as well.

Anybody agree?

Kind regards,
Erik

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:59
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes, please Sep 9, 2011

I agree. I would like to have the option of hiding these from the Recent posts list, too.

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Why? Sep 9, 2011

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:59
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
What are "translators' playground" topics? Sep 9, 2011

If you want to hide the "Lighter side" forum, surely you can do that? So what else do you mean?

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translator playground Sep 9, 2011

Jack Doughty wrote:

If you want to hide the "Lighter side" forum, surely you can do that? So what else do you mean?

Dear Jack,

If it's possible, I don't know how. I would be grateful for any hint. The only possibility is to hide off-topic posts, and translator playground topics don't seem to belong to this categorie (strangely enough).

"Lighter side of trans/interp [sic]" is one of them, but I am more specifically referring to the fora "Fun with Proz.com", "Fun with images", "Fun with language" and "Other games".

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Finetune forum notifications Sep 9, 2011

Hi folks,

In case you wish to opt-out from receiving notifications from any forums, just go to the page with the general list of the forums (in this case, http://www.proz.com/forum?cat_group=translation ), and set the notifications to OFF (choose from the drop-down lists in the left side of the page).

Hope this helps,
Natalia

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The request is not about forum notifications Sep 10, 2011

The request is not about forum notifications. It is about an option to prevent the playground topics to be displayed among the "Most Recent Posts" list (which is the default display when you go to http://www.proz.com/forum/).

Above the forum topic listing, there is a clickable option to Show or Hide "Off Topic" forum threads.
The request entails changing the playground topics to "Off-topic
... See more
The request is not about forum notifications. It is about an option to prevent the playground topics to be displayed among the "Most Recent Posts" list (which is the default display when you go to http://www.proz.com/forum/).

Above the forum topic listing, there is a clickable option to Show or Hide "Off Topic" forum threads.
The request entails changing the playground topics to "Off-topic", so we could show or hide them from the Most Recent Posts list with one easy click.

Katalin

[Edited at 2011-09-10 00:12 GMT]
Collapse

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
With Matt Sep 10, 2011

Why??

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 06:59
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
... Sep 10, 2011

Trudy Peters wrote:

Why??

Perhaps because it is a silly, superfluous section of the site that users/members who visit this site for professional reasons do not wish to be confronted with. Just a wild guess.

Anyway, I support the original poster's request.

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Why? Sep 10, 2011

Yes Nicole, and judging by the number of hits non too popular with members, but it's not a pop-up. If you wish to view the topic you have to open it, so the most you can possibly lose is the time it takes to read "fun with..." or whatever. Simply leave it there untouched.

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
off-topic Sep 10, 2011

matt robinson wrote:

Yes Nicole, and judging by the number of hits non too popular with members, but it's not a pop-up. If you wish to view the topic you have to open it, so the most you can possibly lose is the time it takes to read "fun with..." or whatever. Simply leave it there untouched.

Well, following that line of reasoning, we don't need the "hide off-topic" button either, do we? I just find that on some days, these "fun with" topics take up a considerable amount of screen real estate I'd rather see being used for things that - to me - are more useful than invitations to fill in the speech balloons in self-drawn comic strips. I've nothing against that, but it should be classified as off-topic, because it is. That way, people can choose whether they want to see these or not.

[Bearbeitet am 2011-09-10 07:53 GMT]

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:59
Chinese to English
One more vote Sep 10, 2011

I'll support efreitag's motion. I like the translator's playground posts a lot, and I shall continue to look at them. But if others don't want to, and it can be accomplished by just a bit of renaming, then why not?

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 17:59
SITE STAFF
Should be filtered now Sep 10, 2011

Hi all,

The playground topics should be filtered from the list at http://www.proz.com/forum/ now, if you have selected the "hidden" option for off-topic threads. Remember that those who still wish to see those topics can, by selecting the option to show off-topic threads at the top of the list.

Jared

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thank you, Jared Sep 10, 2011

Thank you for the quick solution.
Katalin

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 10, 2011

Indeed: Many thanks for the prompt response, Jared!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please make "translator playground" topics off-topic

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »