What is this unnerving giftbox now on the right side of Proz' homepage?
Thread poster: Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:11
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
May 20, 2015

It pops up on every site I open and cannot be blocked.

There are no children here around who are delighted to play (with puppets?), so please stop this nonsense!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Virus??? May 20, 2015

I suspect you have a virus in your computer. I see nothing of the sort on Proz (nor anywhere else).

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, thank you! May 20, 2015

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I suspect you have a virus in your computer. I see nothing of the sort on Proz (nor anywhere else).

I see it only on Proz' homepage (for the moment...). I will have scanned my PC, thanks for the advice!

Maria Kopnitsky
Maria Kopnitsky  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Please submit a screenshot May 20, 2015

Christel Zipfel wrote:

It pops up on every site I open and cannot be blocked.

There are no children here around who are delighted to play (with puppets?), so please stop this nonsense!

Hello Christel,

I confirm that you shouldn't be seeing this sort of image on your homepage. As José suggests, the problem seems like it may be specific to your computer. Just in case, if you wouldn't mind submitting a screenshot of this to site staff via the support center, that would be very helpful: http://www.proz.com/support

Thank you!

Best regards,

Maria

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Is this it? May 20, 2015

http://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQuestions/comments/2qcz85/some_annoying_icon_appeared_on_my_home_screen_and/

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe I should not say it aloud... May 22, 2015

but the "giftbox" has disappeared, although I don't know exactly why. I had run different tools, like Anti-Malwarebytes, Spybot and so on, but nothing of interest was found.

In the beginning, the giftbox popped up only on ProZ' sites, but then it appeared randomly on other sites, too, fortunately only very few. Whether I used Firefox (my favourite browser) or IE didn't make any difference. Suspicious/new toolbars could not be found.

The giftbox seems related to "Candy
... See more
but the "giftbox" has disappeared, although I don't know exactly why. I had run different tools, like Anti-Malwarebytes, Spybot and so on, but nothing of interest was found.

In the beginning, the giftbox popped up only on ProZ' sites, but then it appeared randomly on other sites, too, fortunately only very few. Whether I used Firefox (my favourite browser) or IE didn't make any difference. Suspicious/new toolbars could not be found.

The giftbox seems related to "Candyoyo" (suprise for kids or something like this). Google didn't find anything with this name associated with malware.

Phil, it was similar but not that one. Also, I don't use Android but Windows.

Do you think it can still do any harm even if it is not to be seen anymore?

Any further advice?

Thank you very much anyway.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
MAYBE it was harmless May 22, 2015

Years ago, when my wife and my stepson shared the same computer, we had something of the kind. The program was resident, since I think this was in the days of Windows 95 and dial-up connection to the Internet.

The "thing" only affected Microsoft Word. After 15 minutes the program was open, the computer would freeze, and stop responding to keyboard/mouse commands. An elegant blond woman would come up on the top left corner of the screen, smile, take a bow, strip herself naked, one pi
... See more
Years ago, when my wife and my stepson shared the same computer, we had something of the kind. The program was resident, since I think this was in the days of Windows 95 and dial-up connection to the Internet.

The "thing" only affected Microsoft Word. After 15 minutes the program was open, the computer would freeze, and stop responding to keyboard/mouse commands. An elegant blond woman would come up on the top left corner of the screen, smile, take a bow, strip herself naked, one piece at a time, bow again, vanish, and thus release her stronghold on the computer. The show took some 60-90 seconds. About 15 minutes later, a brunette would do it on the top right corner. More 15 minutes of usable computer, and a redhead would do it on the bottom left corner. The fourth episode was a black woman on the bottom right corner, and then, some 15 minutes later, we'd be back to the blonde again.

While the gals were quite good-looking for my stepson - then a teenager - to watch, my wife wanted to use that very computer to WORK!

Thank goodness I'm old enough to have known DOS inside out, otherwise the only way to evict those e-strippers would have been to format the hard drive!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is this unnerving giftbox now on the right side of Proz' homepage?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »