Thread poster: tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 02:14
German
+ ...
Mar 31, 2005

Dear Henry, Jason et al.:

It seems quite obvious that every new topic should have a meaningful title - good idea. I even agree that for long posts, it's good to have a sort of summary in the posting title.

However, I would ask you to change the forum system so that entering a title for each reply is no longer mandatory.

Many people are circumventing this requirement already by entering "..." or similar as their reply title.

I'm an active memb
... See more
Dear Henry, Jason et al.:

It seems quite obvious that every new topic should have a meaningful title - good idea. I even agree that for long posts, it's good to have a sort of summary in the posting title.

However, I would ask you to change the forum system so that entering a title for each reply is no longer mandatory.

Many people are circumventing this requirement already by entering "..." or similar as their reply title.

I'm an active member on quite a few "fora" on the Internet and while all are basically the same (i.e. you can enter title text and posting text) I don't know a single one that forces its users to enter a title with each post.

I'm hoping for numerous replies (even without proper titles ) from site staff and forum users alike.

Best regards,
Benjamin
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:14
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Put anything you like as a title Mar 31, 2005

Dear Benjamin,

a title could be probably be made not mandatory, but the current configuration is also easy to use. Just enter something essential, such as "I agree/disagree with **** " or "My opinion" or something even simpler. Just avoid using ... or *.

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2005-04-03 16:31]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 20:14
SITE FOUNDER
Think of titles as a chance to have your point included in email summaries Mar 31, 2005

We mail summaries of each thread out to those tracking the forums. When you enter a title with your post, it gives us something to include in those summaries.

I encourage everyone to think of the reply title this way: if you had to make your whole post in one line, what would you write?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:14
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Copy replied-title to reply message body Apr 11, 2005

tectranslate wrote:

I also think it is a good idea to force people to summarise their posts. It doesn't always work in practice, though. For example, I may wish to comment on two things said by the OP, and I can't fit both summaries into a single subject line. If I mention only one things summary, I'll do injustice to the other thing.

I also find that sometimes a reply is so short that the reply and the subject line would be more or less the same (even the same length!). In fact, I have on occasion found that people use the subject line for their "message" and simply quoted what the OP said without adding anything else in the body of the message. When I reply, then, I have to manually copy their "message" to the reply. So here's a suggestion: force people to write a new subject line, but include the old subject line in the reply body, as in:

\[quote\]tectranslate wrote:
"Mandatory titles for topic _replies_"
...and the rest of the quoted message here.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mandatory titles for topic _replies_

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »